Need a pair of Battery covers, '78 R100

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Jean

Need a pair of Battery covers, '78 R100

Post by Jean »

:oops:
So I went to ride last night and someplace in the dark, the rubber-band broke and BOTH the battery covers bailed-out (off).
I cruised the same roads today and didn't find them. I am heartbroken. [NOW you know what really gets to me!!]

Does anyone have some lying around they'd like to unload for a REASONABLE price? New ones are $49 US each. I'll get them if I have to but just thought one of my forum buddies might have something like this in the big box under the workbench.
I don't care what color they are, they just need to be usable. The catalog lists the same number for ALL 1974 - 1984 "R" bikes, probably excluding the R65 series, but I don't know that for sure.

I'm going to a rally this weekend (Aug 9-11) and just might find some there but otherwise I'd like to hear from anyone in the US who has some to sell.
Clemson, SC
R100s, R75/5
Ray from Indiana

Re: Need a pair of Battery covers, '78 R100

Post by Ray from Indiana »

Sorry, don't have any to spare. But

I wonder what the best fix is to prevent this kind of thing from happening again.

- Use 2 of those elastic bands?
- Cinch 'em with steel fishing leader?
- Use a black polyethylene strap from cover to cover and sheet metal screws or Dzus fasteners to attach the strap to the covers?

Hmmmm

Ray
dwerbil

Post by dwerbil »

I used a couple of zip ties for many years. Then no longer with the auxiliary fuel tanks in place of them.

Click for pics
04 R1150RT ~ 78 R100/7 ~ 84 RS ~ 93 K1100RS ~ 65 R60/2
Randy in Round Rock
Jean

Post by Jean »

dwerbil, what did you do with the covers when you got the aux fuel tanks?
Clemson, SC
R100s, R75/5
dwerbil

Post by dwerbil »

Jean wrote:dwerbil, what did you do with the covers when you got the aux fuel tanks?

I'm saving them.
Jean, drop a email to Mikey at Martindale Cycle Works here in Texas. I'm sure he'll have a used
set he can ship out to you.

Click for pics
04 R1150RT ~ 78 R100/7 ~ 84 RS ~ 93 K1100RS ~ 65 R60/2
Randy in Round Rock
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

Bummer Jean!

When you get some new ones, use a small plastic zip tie/cable tie on the rear edge of the cover and around the sub frame tube.
'Course you need to drill an 1/8" hole for the tie. Have a look with a cover in place, and you'll see just where to drill. :idea:
Lord of the Bings
Kurt in S.A.

Post by Kurt in S.A. »

I've read about gluing a plastic tie-down on the inside of the cover at the appropriate spot. They sell little plastic squares that have a couple of holes for such a thing.

I've been using a small diameter piece of nylon string/rope for years...even threw a tautline knot on it (from Boy Scouts) so I could loosen and tighten as needed. The left side is captive due to the lift handle. I also put a zip tie around the hook on the right side as a back up.

Funny, just a few weeks ago, I was out riding and had to stop. As I got off, I noticed the left side was flopping around. Pulled the seat and tool tray and found that I hadn't tightened the rope enough or it had slipped off the inside cover hook. The right side was firmly held in place due to the zip tie.

Kurt in S.A.
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

I know it totally sucks to have to replace both, but $49 is really not bad at all compared to every other vehicle from the period (except, perhaps, HD). Almost everyone else is NLA and very pricey for beat up used ones.
MS - out
chasbmw

Post by chasbmw »

ME 109 wrote:Bummer Jean!

When you get some new ones, use a small plastic zip tie/cable tie on the rear edge of the cover and around the sub frame tube.
'Course you need to drill an 1/8" hole for the tie. Have a look with a cover in place, and you'll see just where to drill. :idea:

+1.
Charles
Replica 1070 R90/S (based on 82 RT)
1975 R90/6
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

Major Softie wrote:I know it totally sucks to have to replace both, but $49 is really not bad at all compared to every other vehicle from the period (except, perhaps, HD). Almost everyone else is NLA and very pricey for beat up used ones.
I was lucky enough to buy two pairs for my RS
Top condition, correct paint, correct decal
50 and 60 bucks, thereabouts.
Thanks German eBay.
Lord of the Bings