Ethanol Free Gas in your area

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Deleted User 62

Ethanol Free Gas in your area

Post by Deleted User 62 »

Here's an (incomplete) list of ethanol free gas availability in your area: http://pure-gas.org/
Jean

Re: Ethanol Free Gas in your area

Post by Jean »

Most of the stations in my area have huge signs out front advertising that they have it!!
It's a big deal here in South Carolina.
Clemson, SC
R100s, R75/5
Deleted User 287

Post by Deleted User 287 »

There was only one place on that list in my area, and they are a marine dealer that doesn't sell to anything but boats.
Jean

Post by Jean »

The places listed in my area are the ones I know about.
Especially "Maws Grocery", Central, SC. About 3/4 mile from my house.
They have 2 pumps: one for REAL gas, the other has ethanol-blend, and they only have "regular".
[That's where we get gas for the lawnmowers!!]
Real gas runs about $0.15 - 0.20/gal. higher than the eth-blend but your mpg is better. Go figure.
Clemson, SC
R100s, R75/5
boocephus

Post by boocephus »

I gave up on good gas long ago. I used to insist on going to pumps that had 3 hoses so I didn't get a gallon of crap gas. I used to go to sunoco because they had 94 instead of 93. I'm over it. Once gas got to $3/gal the romance was over.

I am going to retard the timing on my 71 R75/5 and see if I can run it on 87. Oddly enough, I used to get better mileage on my 800cc r75/6 overbore using 87 or 89 because if I rode it like I stole it, it pinged too much.
Jean

Post by Jean »

Interesting, My R75/5 (1971) runs fine on "regular" but that's how it was set-up when I bought it.
ALL the motos in my garage run on regular...I downshift if I need to do something quick,
These pumps are dedicated pumps. ONE hose, no selection button/levers.
Gas, depending on where you live, may have additives other than ethanhol that mess you up. The gas in Virginia has some sort of oxygenation stuff added that cost me around 15% milage when I went there in my van. (E150, 1978, 300CI 6, manual)
Clemson, SC
R100s, R75/5
Deleted User 287

Post by Deleted User 287 »

Jean wrote:(E150, 1978, 300CI 6, manual)
You sound hot!, Jean! :)
She'llbe

Post by She'llbe »

The Australian government was quick to tell the nation that ethanol was better and cheaper. My mechanic told me that ethanol would melt my BMW floats and give me about 10% less gas mileage. We can still get 95 and 98 octane fuel and I"'m willing to pay the difference.
From the desk of the
Mt. Nardi Yacht Club
PO BOX 95
Nimbin, NSW
Australia 2480
02-6689-1234
jtoml

Post by jtoml »

Good gas is still available - at local small and friendly airports. You may have to say it's for an airplane, and it's expensive. 100LL is very similar to the leaded premium gas from 40 years ago, in lead content and octane rating. I've run it through my R75/5 (about a gallon per tank) and it works fine.
Kurt in S.A.

Post by Kurt in S.A. »

I'll take some of that 100LL. What? Oh, it's for my...uh...hmmm...my Cessna 172. Yeah, that's right, my Cessna. Doesn't need much, though. Fill up the 5 gallon container, please?

Kurt in S.A.