jointed filters

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
boocephus

Re: jointed filters

Post by boocephus »

Is it getting to be a pain in the arse to get filters? Last time I was at RePsycle they didn't have oil filters in stock. Now I am being told by various outlets that straight filters are no longer being produced. I used to be able to go to a couple counters in town if I needed something like that. You'd think my bikes were 40 year old or something!
Kurt in S.A.

Post by Kurt in S.A. »

Beemerboneyard shows the long ones on their website. The hinged ones work fine, and as indicated, are actually less prone to collapsing.

Kurt in S.A.
Slashsevenpig

Post by Slashsevenpig »

Zombie Master wrote:I've run out of my one piece BMW filters. :cry: I picked up one that is jointed in the middle, and connects together with rubber(ish) fittings. There has to be less filtering media, and more constriction of oil flow. Are these filters a problem?

I must know. Tell me the whole truth, nothing but the truth: :ugeek:
When I switched to jointed filters years ago, the local shop told me I'd have to pick out the two tiny o-rings (11 42 1 250 285) on the pipe (11 11 1 263 342) because the jointed filters didn't need them. Mine is a '77 R100/7. I don't know if this applies to your year and model, just a heads-up.
Duane Ausherman

Post by Duane Ausherman »

The jointed filters weren't a problem in my day. But then we were still smashing two rocks together for fire.
Ask the Indians what happens when you don't control immigration.
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

Slashsevenpig wrote:
Zombie Master wrote:I've run out of my one piece BMW filters. :cry: I picked up one that is jointed in the middle, and connects together with rubber(ish) fittings. There has to be less filtering media, and more constriction of oil flow. Are these filters a problem?

I must know. Tell me the whole truth, nothing but the truth: :ugeek:
When I switched to jointed filters years ago, the local shop told me I'd have to pick out the two tiny o-rings (11 42 1 250 285) on the pipe (11 11 1 263 342) because the jointed filters didn't need them. Mine is a '77 R100/7. I don't know if this applies to your year and model, just a heads-up.
Noted... Thanx!
Any and all disclaimers may apply
Garnet

Post by Garnet »

I have used Wix 24945 hinged filter http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDe ... Part=24945 on my non oil cooler bikes for a while. Comes with gasket, big (white) O ring and shims. Also available at Napa.
Garnet

Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

Garnet wrote:I have used Wix 24945 hinged filter http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDe ... Part=24945 on my non oil cooler bikes for a while. Comes with gasket, big (white) O ring and shims. Also available at Napa.
Are they OEM quality?
Any and all disclaimers may apply
Kurt in S.A.

Post by Kurt in S.A. »

Zombie Master wrote:Are they OEM quality?
That's going to be an arguable point, just like oil and tires! :lol: If it wasn't approved by BMW by one of their suppliers, then the quality has to be determined by the user. How many pleats? Flow rate? What micron levels will it it pass? Dimensional quality or standard?

Kurt in S.A.