1986 R80 - Tank Vent Doing It's Job?

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
captmako

1986 R80 - Tank Vent Doing It's Job?

Post by captmako »

Well, howdy, it's Biketober here in Daytona Beach area. I rode my machine yesterday and it was dang hot. Got upwards
to 90 plus. No biggie as I'm used to it and ride full gear with a cooling vest under my Hi-Viz jacket. Anyhoo, got home
and filled-up the gas tank on the way to homestead. Put machine in garage and today I see gas weeping from the area
under the tank near the front top of engine. Not much, but definitely weeping. Didn't take off tank right now so checked here. Nothing I found addressing the problem. Question: Is this normal with a very full tank and a hot garage?
JUST DOING IT'S JOB? Thanks in-advance for any opinions.
Last edited by captmako on Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
beemered

Re: 1986 R80 Naked Bike - Tank Vent Doing It's Job?

Post by beemered »

Possibly the fuel overflow hose is cracked.Had to replace mine after years /heat took it's toll on the material.Good luck.
captmako

Post by captmako »

beemered wrote:Possibly the fuel overflow hose is cracked.Had to replace mine after years /heat took it's toll on the material.Good luck.
It may well have. I'll get to pulling it off tomorrow when it cools in the morning. I just put in new tank grommets and
such and cleaned everything. Guess I'll check it out. Somewhat disconcerning to have gas running onto top of engine no
matter the quantity. :o
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

What is the condition of the tanks interior? The metal tube that goes from the filler to the bottom of the tank may have cracked or rusted through... Hard to fix right, but easy enough to plug the exit tube.
captmako

Post by captmako »

Tim Shepherd wrote:What is the condition of the tanks interior? The metal tube that goes from the filler to the bottom of the tank may have cracked or rusted through... Hard to fix right, but easy enough to plug the exit tube.
Unfortunately I can't answer that one Tim. Bike overall is prob. an 8 out of 10. 40,000 miles on the clock. No rust on bike. May have to pull tank and pull petcocks. Clear fuel filters show no rust or debris.
Jean

Post by Jean »

Check it out SOON. Yesterday is not too soon, BTW.
You may be cool in your riding gear, but gas on a hot engine can heat your lower parts up plenty fast!!.
Not good for the bike either, (but you can get on the front page of the local section of the newspaper if the leak continues)

Once upon a time.....but I digress.
Clemson, SC
R100s, R75/5
captmako

Post by captmako »

Jean wrote:Check it out SOON. Yesterday is not too soon, BTW.
You may be cool in your riding gear, but gas on a hot engine can heat your lower parts up plenty fast!!.
Not good for the bike either, (but you can get on the front page of the local section of the newspaper if the leak continues)

Once upon a time.....but I digress.
I hear ya Jean. Doing my due diligence today by pulling tank and seeing what's up. Thanks.
I'll post up what I find.
Jean

Post by Jean »

Gas on my boots is a PITA, but nothing like flames in the crotch.
Clemson, SC
R100s, R75/5
captmako

Post by captmako »

I can only imagine; nay, I don't want to imagine. I just my seat off and found some
hose to drain the gas tank. Working on it between coming inside the AC to cool off. Whew.
captmako

Post by captmako »

Pulled tank off. Tank overflow hose had come off the nipple. It was leaking gas from full/hot tank of gas right
onto top of starter cover. Had an old fabri-covered hose that was just sitting on the top of the cover. I'll put
new rubber gas hoses on both vents and if I'm reading other notes on doing so; run the hoses down where the old
battery vent line used to go. Now I have a gel battery.
I'm also going to remove the shed fuel system. Any good tech tip links on removing the shed fuel system? I searched
and found nothing right on point. Thanks all.