Bad dogs!

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
grant81rs

Re: Bad dogs!

Post by grant81rs »

Gidday Fellas,

Speaking of boxes!

I once had young pimply face kid come into my signshop one day, he had just got his car licence, he was as cocky as shit, cap on backwards, music blasting, you know the type and he want a decal cut for the back window of his beaten up pride n joy..

"If you think my girlfriend can fight, you ought to see her box"

Just saying!
Cheers, Grant
Gippsland - Australia

1978 R100RS
1981 R100RS
1994 K1100RS
2005 R1150gsa
radarcarve

Post by radarcarve »

Is this part really no longer available? I have tried to identify it, and it appears to be the Gear wheel for 4th gear, part number 23221234213, My 1983 R80rt that I am going to part out has the same part number. I think it was the same in a whole range of transmissions from the mid 70's through the 80's. Are you sure it is unavailable? Here is the link to the OEM parts fiche: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.do?m ... g=23&fg=21 By the way, can't we all be a bit more help to a guy looking for a part? How quickly a part search/question turns into complete BS!
Roy Gavin

Post by Roy Gavin »

The handbook which came with my 40 year old Murex welder suggests using their versatile Austex rod for gear repairs.

This has a mild steel core and a heavy coating containing sufficient alloys to yield 18/8/2.5 Cr - Ni -Mo stainless steel weld metal, which work hardens rapidly, making it suitable for heavy impact.

Dont know what the current equivalent rod is but it will be around.
Adelaide, Oz. 77 R75/7. 86 R80 G/S PD, 93 R100 GS, 70 BSA B44 VS ,BMW F650 Classic
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

Welding would be the easier part of the job. As Duane said, machining to index the gears is what will bring things undone. Who is going to do it?
It will cost more than a second hand tranny.
Lord of the Bings
Mal S7

Post by Mal S7 »

radarcarve wrote:By the way, can't we all be a bit more help to a guy looking for a part? How quickly a part search/question turns into complete BS!
Hi. Sounds like you might be new to this forum. Its rare to find a post that holds a straight line. A sane person in an insane world is likely to get annoyed by these things but hang in there. If it all gets too much, sensible conversations can be had at advrider/airheads.

Thanks for helping George out with advice btw
Cheers
Mal
Airbear
Location: Oz, lower right hand side, in a bit, just over the lumpy part.

Post by Airbear »

radarcarve wrote:Is this part really no longer available? I have tried to identify it, and it appears to be the Gear wheel for 4th gear, part number 23221234213, My 1983 R80rt that I am going to part out has the same part number. I think it was the same in a whole range of transmissions from the mid 70's through the 80's. Are you sure it is unavailable? Here is the link to the OEM parts fiche: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.do?m ... g=23&fg=21 By the way, can't we all be a bit more help to a guy looking for a part? How quickly a part search/question turns into complete BS!
Radar, the broken gear is on the intermediate, or lay, shaft. This is shown in the fiche as part # 14 on the 'driveshaft and intermediate shaft' drawing, and used to be available as a cluster only but now is unavailable. Thank you for spending the time searching.

By the way, the thread drift is not complete bullshit - only partly. An important function of this forum is social interaction. The members are from many parts of the world and we share more interests than just a love of quirky old motorbikes. Do you have a cat? Here is a picture of mine. I find this picture calming but I think it frightens Chuey, who has no time for cats.

Charlie
and Brunhilde - 1974 R90/6

Graduate, Wallace and Gromit School of Engineering and Design (Pending)
grant81rs

Post by grant81rs »

Gidday Fellas,

Shit, ya leave the forum for a while and when you look back in to see what's been happening, have a good laugh and a joke with friends and throw the odd double innuendo around which is how its always been on here for as long as I can remember, the newly formed fun police are standing ready wielding their armoury and laying down the laws.

Sorry for stepping over the line with my silly bad taste joke which I through in on the thread, In the future I shall endeavour to keep my postings bland and beige coloured so that all technical inquiries can be answered quickly and spare parts located super fast without wasting a minute of anyone's time.

BTW Charlie, well said.... "the thread drift is not complete bullshit - only partly. An important function of this forum is social interaction. The members are from many parts of the world and we share more interests than just a love of quirky old motorbikes. Do you have a cat? Here is a picture of mine. I find this picture calming but I think it frightens Chuey, who has no time for cats."

And yes Charlie your lovely cat picture did indeed calm me a little when I laid my eye upon it, rather soothing really, but just not enough to stop me from pressing the submit button this time ;)

PS - do you sell them framed?
Cheers, Grant
Gippsland - Australia

1978 R100RS
1981 R100RS
1994 K1100RS
2005 R1150gsa
Airbear
Location: Oz, lower right hand side, in a bit, just over the lumpy part.

Post by Airbear »

Hullo Grant, and good to see you here again. Yes, it's always fun and games on internet forums, and Boxerworks is a bit special. Hey, have you seen Mal's thread down in Motorcycling, about a weekend run in mid-November? Maybe you can make it?

ps: Speaking of bad taste signs, my next-door neighbour has a sign on the back of his 4WD which says, "My other toy has tits!" Not sure what his missus thinks of that, and I'm afraid to ask her.
Charlie
and Brunhilde - 1974 R90/6

Graduate, Wallace and Gromit School of Engineering and Design (Pending)
grant81rs

Post by grant81rs »

Gidday fellas,

Yes been watching and reading alot on here charlie, and yesterday i was talking to jeff on the blower about the run, but i am ashamed to say that my bike is not registered yet, i even think steved has given up on me and my wife said the other day "why arent you riding that bike you brought"....
Its all ready and sitting there for a RWC, just have to get it done and throw the money over the counter at vicroads, its that simple charlie.
Just bag me out and call me names without getting off topic to much, as that just may be all the motivation that i need to get my ass into gear..
Cheers, Grant
Gippsland - Australia

1978 R100RS
1981 R100RS
1994 K1100RS
2005 R1150gsa
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

radarcarve wrote:By the way, can't we all be a bit more help to a guy looking for a part? How quickly a part search/question turns into complete BS!
Good lord, more than 1/2 the responses have been directly focused on helping this guy out. That is WAY higher a percentage than usual. Of course now we've been talking about your post instead of his question, so the average is dropping. ;)
MS - out