MaxBMW R90S Build

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Deleted User 62

MaxBMW R90S Build

Post by Deleted User 62 »

Are any of you guys checking this out? Max BMW is building a 1975 R90S from all new parts with a live camera feed: http://www.maxbmwmotorsport.com/r90s Image
She'llbe

Re: MaxBMW R90S Build

Post by She'llbe »

I don't think that's an original tail light housing. I'd like to try doing that from all new parts.
From the desk of the
Mt. Nardi Yacht Club
PO BOX 95
Nimbin, NSW
Australia 2480
02-6689-1234
Deleted User 62

She'llbe wrote:I don't think that's an original tail light housing. I'd like to try doing that from all new parts.
Yeah, there are a few parts in the photo that would not have been stock in 1975, square footpeg rubbers, sparkplug covers, different starter, etc
chasbmw

Post by chasbmw »

There are a number of parts that are not correct including gearbox brake calipers etc etc.

There are also some parts such as the instruments that have been NLA for a long time now, so I'm not sure what they have used.

It's good publicity for Max BMW and BMW and lots of people will remember that " you can build a R90s from new parts" but the reality is that more and more parts for airheads are coming up NLA.
Charles
Replica 1070 R90/S (based on 82 RT)
1975 R90/6
bbelk

Post by bbelk »

Tim Shepherd wrote:
She'llbe wrote:I don't think that's an original tail light housing. I'd like to try doing that from all new parts.
Yeah, there are a few parts in the photo that would not have been stock in 1975, square footpeg rubbers, sparkplug covers, different starter, etc
You guys would complain if they hung you with a new rope. If it comes out a little like Johney Cash's car, it will still be cool.
1975 R90/6
1979 R65
She'llbe

Post by She'llbe »

bbelk wrote:
Tim Shepherd wrote:
You guys would complain if they hung you with a new rope. If it comes out a little like Johney Cash's car, it will still be cool.
my bike isn't 1975 accurate either, but if someone wants to hang me I hope they use a new rope!, and I believe that Johnny is the proper spelling?
From the desk of the
Mt. Nardi Yacht Club
PO BOX 95
Nimbin, NSW
Australia 2480
02-6689-1234
Deleted User 62

bbelk wrote:
Tim Shepherd wrote:
I'm no nitpicker, just pointing out some discrepancies. I'm sure some of the parts being used are the ones that have been superseded by more modern equivalents. Giving the location, MaxBMW is the main warehouse for BMWNA motorcycle parts, I'm sure a few of the mechanics have their own collections of NOS parts to choose from.
Toga

Post by Toga »

I jumped in & watched for a short time, they were assembling the heads & rockers.
As he was torquing the rocker arms I noticed some shims still on the bench and thought 'extras'... but paid no real attention as im a self confessed mechanical idiot.
For some reason I thought I would watch it again thinking it was a vid, doh Toga its a live stream... anyway, when I returned they were removing the rockers and I instantly thought 'they forgot the rocker shims'... then I thought 'perhaps they needed to be torqued in order to measure what size shim? ' ...
OK, enlighten me ... why was this so ?
Rev Light

Post by Rev Light »

I am not sure what all the fuss is about R90s's is. I would not buy one. Not because they are a bad bike, because they are not. But because they are collectable which means that they are now pricey - like having a R90S tax. I understand what there are and where they fit in history, etc. If I wanted a bike like that I would go and do what Charles did. Find a later post 81 R100, perhaps a set of Mikunis and still have enough left over to get someone like Jim Cray to do his magic on it. Dang I might even get a fancy paint job.

Cheers
chasbmw

Post by chasbmw »

Dear Rev

I originally did the conversion on my RT because I liked the R90s, but preferred the later light flywheel, brakes and swinging arm and general drivability of the 81-84 twin shocks. I have always had a prejudice against the mono levers and later airheads.

Now I find that I ride my relatively standard R90/6 more......I haven't quite worked out why!
Charles
Replica 1070 R90/S (based on 82 RT)
1975 R90/6