A Clutch of Questions

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
grant81rs

Re: A Clutch of Questions

Post by grant81rs »

Gidday Charlie,

Now Now, don't dis Southbank BMW as they have a great Coffee machine in there. SteveD and I sat by that coffee machine sipping many a free low fat, late, mocha with a twist of french vanilla in nice tall glasses while studying the flashy floor stock and trying on helmets for a good few hours one day while waiting for my brand new bedazzling free replacement snowflake front wheel from Germany to be fitted 27yrs after the recall was introduced, we bounced out of the joint and didn't spend a penny.......Must do it again one day Steve!! :D
Cheers, Grant
Gippsland - Australia

1978 R100RS
1981 R100RS
1994 K1100RS
2005 R1150gsa
Roy Gavin

Post by Roy Gavin »

When I order from Motobins I add a few filters and wear parts etc I know I will need - the saving on them covers the postage on most items. I think Steve gets a few seat covers then sells them on Ebay, presumably for the same reason.

With the heavy flywheel bikes it is debatable if you will notice much imbalance , but I have read that BMW put a white spot at the heaviest point on each assembly , so if you can find them spread them round.

Someone somewhere suggested hanging the assembly from a string and moving the parts round till untill they hung level, but this depends on getting the string dead centre of the flywheel hole, and if you have the ability and equipment to make up something to do that you probably will be able to balance things anyway.
Adelaide, Oz. 77 R75/7. 86 R80 G/S PD, 93 R100 GS, 70 BSA B44 VS ,BMW F650 Classic
Chuey

Post by Chuey »

Charlie, I'll adapt a saying I heard from one of my heroes, Gene Berg. Actually, I read it in his VW performance catalogue, which is some of my favorite ever material that I've read. Here goes........."Buy the best and cry once". You'll not be sorry for fixing it right.

There's beauty and rightness in keeping the old ones running well. That's why people smile when they see old things kept up well.

Chuey
Airbear
Location: Oz, lower right hand side, in a bit, just over the lumpy part.

Post by Airbear »

G'day Grant. I didn't realise Southbank had a coffee machine. Perhaps we should schedule a Boxerworks gathering there - get all the crew down for a day or two. Do they have a fire? Will they let us ride the bikes?

Thanks Roy. Good advice. I have just left Motobins site after courageously giving them my credit card details. Having just stocked up on oil filters from Munichs, I couldn't think of anything else I needed. The prices are really good at the moment.

Thinking more about the balancing, it would be possible to turn up a disk of MDF with a hole for a string in the centre. If the edge has a slight taper it would centre itself in the pressure ring and the pressure plate to give some static balance feedback. As you say, the mass of the flywheel is so much greater, but any off-centre mass might make a difference. I'm just about to install an Omega ignition, and hope that this will cure the vibration issue that has always been there - my points cam is dodgy (not a real word, apparently) - long story.

Chuey, I like the quote. My credit card and I are crying into our beers right now. You also wrote, "There's beauty and rightness in keeping the old ones running well. That's why people smile when they see old things kept up well."
Now I know why people laugh when they see me.
Charlie
and Brunhilde - 1974 R90/6

Graduate, Wallace and Gromit School of Engineering and Design (Pending)
Roy Gavin

Post by Roy Gavin »

The instructions with the Omega suggest cleaning any solder blobs from the end of the alternator rotor, but take care if you have to.
These blobs of solder are where the wires from the coils connect to the slip ring, and they are the point of most winding failures- DAHIK
Adelaide, Oz. 77 R75/7. 86 R80 G/S PD, 93 R100 GS, 70 BSA B44 VS ,BMW F650 Classic
Airbear

Post by Airbear »

Thanks Roy. Noted.
ps: What does DAHIK mean?
Charlie

Deleted User 61

Post by Deleted User 61 »

Airbear wrote: ps: What does DAHIK mean?
Don't Ask How I Know...

(because he's already been there!)

((you can google those acronyms. they will be defined for you - except in this case - I had to put the 'M' in for Me, to the an acceptable response.))
Airbear

Post by Airbear »

Ah, thanks Rob. I did try googling 'DAHIK meaning' and it came up with a whole lot of stuff about Allah (exalted be Allah). I flicked through a few hits and stumbled upon a delightful, learned and gentle debate on The Official Sunni/Salafi Debates Thread on the Sunni Forum.

One of the posts included this, "... no, the hadith means that Allah's "dahik" is real, it is the attribute of laughter, and not something else, so the Prophet sallallahu alayhi wa sallam's action is to show that its general meaning is the same as the real dahik that we know BUT its kayfiyyah (the HOW) is not like ours, for Allah has said that nothing is like unto Him, the part about one clasping his teeth when laughing is from the "HOW" which is part of our attribute of laughter, but the kayfiyyah of Allah's laughter we do not know, nor are we allowed to ask "how" or even imagine it."

I do like to see theologians being kept quietly amused. I understand that Islam at base level is a very gentle and poetic religion. It's all about interpretation, I guess.

Anyway, it's a lovely warm day here, and parts washing is on the agenda.
Charlie

Deleted User 61

Post by Deleted User 61 »

You might want to bookmark this site:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=DAMHIK
Roy Gavin

Post by Roy Gavin »

Guess I'm just not a me person ---