Windshield Height

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Ken in Oklahoma

Re: Windshield Height

Post by Ken in Oklahoma »

PAS wrote:If your getting the re-curve you cant cut it down, simple as that.
Well, you "can" cut the "re-curve" down, but the "blast path" (to coin a phrase) of the air will be altered. If the ultimate goal is to get a relatively un-turbulent flow of air past the helmet, while being able to look over the windshield, then I reckon that could be done without the flip on the tip.

But then, I don't know everything. ;)

Ken, modest in Oklahoma

Post by PAS »

Ken, Your right! I just dont know many guys that would pay extra for a design feature only to cut it off. I must be missing the point.
khittner1

Post by khittner1 »

The re-curve/no-re-curve option is a freebie choice for Clearview shields. Tint, vents, and custom heights/cuts cost extra, but the re-curve doesn't. So buy the way you want to try it, and, if that doesn't do what you want, experiment to your fine-toothed saber saw's content.

It'd be nice to have a database---or at least a string---of RT windshield height choices, together with the pertinent rider dimensions, and their noise, buffeting, ventilation, and look-over-or-under observations.
Jeff in W.C.

Post by Jeff in W.C. »

Ken in Oklahoma wrote: Hmm, I gather that you read what I and others said about cutting a windshield to height, and you decided that's not a viable option for you. Fair enough.
Unfortunately, I don't have time these days to experiement or custom cut down the windshield. So, I'm doing my best to figure out the best choice before ordering. I did cut down my current windscreen, but it seems a little short at 21". I didn't measure the size of the screen before I cut it down, so I can't make a comparison to whatever length that was. And, cheese grater files work well in shaping the windscreen.
Jeff in W.C.
1988 R100 RT
2018 R1200 GS
"I've got my motorcycle jacket, but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer/Clash
Jeff in W.C.

Post by Jeff in W.C. »

I ended up ordering the 21.5" Clearview screen with a recurve and the vent. I should get it in 3-4 weeks.
Jeff in W.C.
1988 R100 RT
2018 R1200 GS
"I've got my motorcycle jacket, but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer/Clash
George inMinneapolis

Post by George inMinneapolis »

It also depends on the look you want. I have a short windscreen that is very unobtrusive. I experimented with leaning it back and forward and found putting it mostly vertical worked best.