dang brand new oil pressure switch leaking

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
ME 109

Re: dang brand new oil pressure switch leaking

Post by ME 109 »

Major Softie wrote:
The scariest possibility is that your case is cracked from a previous overtorqueing.
Never heard of that before. Don't know if it would be possible. Either thread will fail before it cracks imo.
Not saying I couldn't break it. :mrgreen:
Lord of the Bings
moosehead

Post by moosehead »

SteveD wrote:Yep, usually via the switch internals...this is what mine looked like. Once that oil gets hot it makes a mess via the tiniest escape route.
Is the JB weld idea meant to fix the leak or prevent the leak in the first place?

It does look like the same model in the two pix.

Off topic....Steve, is that a Surefoot side stand? I have one on my naked R80 and it seems to lean quite a bit over than regular side stand. It's well built but was wondering about adding and inch or so to the foot plate....maybe just not used to it compared to the old stand? What's your take on them?

I like it so far ......just an observation
Retired from work....not life!
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

moosehead wrote: Off topic....Steve, is that a Surefoot side stand? I have one on my naked R80 and it seems to lean quite a bit over than regular side stand. It's well built but was wondering about adding and inch or so to the foot plate....maybe just not used to it compared to the old stand? What's your take on them?
I like it so far ......just an observation

Yep.
Initially I liked it. Sturdy, doesn't lean quite so far as the oem, but more so than a Brown. The foot tang snapped off. Annoyed :roll:
Then I found, despite any adjustment, that it would deploy whilst riding...all by itself. :shock: Hated it then!
However, my centre stand has a beefy foot piece on it. If the sidestand is up after the cs, then the cs tang can bump the sidestand down to where the spring will deploy it. The trick is to ensure the sidestand is up first. It's mildly bothersome, but I'm almost accustomed to it now. It's only really a chore if I'm very loaded as that's when I exclusively use the sidestand.
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
Ray from Indiana

Post by Ray from Indiana »

Are you sure you have the right switch? I believe the early switches had tapered threads and the later ones had straight threads...orz it the other way round? In either case the switch threads may not match your case threading.
jjwithers

Post by jjwithers »

You can't really mix them up.
The threads are very different.
Ray from Indiana wrote:Are you sure you have the right switch? I believe the early switches had tapered threads and the later ones had straight threads...orz it the other way round? In either case the switch threads may not match your case threading.
www.beemersandbits.com
'77 R100S - http://www.joshuawithers.com/r100s
'73 /5 Toaster Cafe bike http://www.joshwithers.com/slash5
'67 Bridgestone 175 Hurricane Scrambler
'66 R60/2
'72 BMW 2002
Instagram - jj_withers
Steve in Golden

Post by Steve in Golden »

SteveD wrote:It does look like the same model in the two pix.
Yeah same pissed off expression in both, why is she so unhappy? Perhaps someone degraded her thread on Boxerworks? :D
Bamboo812

Post by Bamboo812 »

Steve in Golden wrote:
SteveD wrote:It does look like the same model in the two pix.
Yeah same pissed off expression in both, why is she so unhappy? Perhaps someone degraded her thread on Boxerworks? :D
I'm guessing the photographer told her to "look sexy" so she went with the lean, hungry look... I've photographed women doing their sexy face before. Looked like they were slightly confused while taking a dump, usually... :roll: