Carbs and Sulphuric Acid

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Nourish

Carbs and Sulphuric Acid

Post by Nourish »

Someone gave me a tip today on cleaning old carbs - drop them in a bucket of Battery Acid - has any one done this - is it safe on the zinc alloy and brass? Cheers
moore84rs

Re: Carbs and Sulphuric Acid

Post by moore84rs »

I don't know.... If that is step #1, then step #2 is probably buy new carbs.
dwerbil

Post by dwerbil »

I liked the Crock Pot method talked about here on the old forum. (Matt, when is it and the historic one getting back on line?) One carb at a time would 'simmer' all day in the pot filled with Simple Green, which does really clean it all, but leaves a tarnish finish, which for me rules out using SG all together. There's probably another semi non toxic cleaner that would work as well without the darkening effect....I just haven't come across any to do the job with no il-effects.

Click for pics
04 R1150RT ~ 78 R100/7 ~ 84 RS ~ 93 K1100RS ~ 65 R60/2
Randy in Round Rock
George Ryals

Post by George Ryals »

I seem to remember that all of the good carb cleaners like Petosol 404(sp?), now outlawed by the EPA, were caustic not acid.
Smile it's contagious!
'74 R90S, '67 /2 Conv w/sc, '66 R50/2
'74 Harley FXE, '72 Harley FLH w/HD sc
'69 BSA 441 Victor Special, '74 R90/6 Basket case
'85 R80RT wreck for parts
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

Ultrasonic cleaning is the go. Small units are cheap, but one big enough for a BING not so. Is ultrasonic cleaning available elsewhere?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhGyK6MpkOQ
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
Jean

NO!!! Carbs and Sulphuric Acid

Post by Jean »

whoever suggested that might have carbs to sell to you. DON"T. DO. IT.
Your friend???
Strong bases (NaOH) aren't good for them either.

Use some carb cleaner from an auto store. It will not hurt them, can be used over and over, and you get a cute little basket that fits in the can.
Petisol was good, but who has any, now?
Kerosene, if you cannot get carb cleaner.
Clemson, SC
R100s, R75/5
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

SteveD wrote:Ultrasonic cleaning is the go. Small units are cheap, but one big enough for a BING not so. Is ultrasonic cleaning available elsewhere?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhGyK6MpkOQ
Harbor Freight sells a couple ultrasonic cleaners. Like all things Harbor Freight, who knows if this particular product is any good - some are, some aren't.
MS - out
Motu

Post by Motu »

I once got a bike (KT250) that had been left overnight stuck in the mud in a bay - so it was completely submerged at high tide.I cleaned the engine in an acid...it was acid we used for cleaning the boiler tubes of our steamcleaner.The cases,barrel and head came out nice...but grey,so painted the engine black.I wasn't so sure about the carb,so did a test on an old Mikuni - came out nice and clean,but discoloured.On reassembling it I found nothing would screw together,and the float pin just fell out.The carb looked perfect,but had shrunk in all directions - just a few seconds in acid had taken metal off all surfaces.

I once had an ultrasonic bath in my fuel injector cleaning machine - I used to clean carbs in it....but it wasn't as good as carb cleaner.
Nourish

Post by Nourish »

Ah - someone lent me the latest Vintage Motor Cycle Club magazine and it mentions in there to use a diluted solution of sulphuric acid for a short period but I've done them now - I used some sort of Phosphoric detergent and then blasted them with Baking Soda - very clean but dull! Cheers
Duane Ausherman

Post by Duane Ausherman »

You soak YOUR carbs in acid and let us know how it works out for you.
Ask the Indians what happens when you don't control immigration.