Boring airhead cylinders? who does it?

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
dwerbil

Re: Honing airhead cylinders? who does it?

Post by dwerbil »

Yeow...didn't catch his reply. Big difference.
Never mind.
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

jjwithers wrote:Actually, good catch. I need the cylinders bored. Not honed.
I was quoted $140 for boring each cylinder.
That is the service I need.
Oh good. $140 for honing sounded insane. For a bore and hone job, it sounds far more sane.
MS - out
daz

Post by daz »

jjwithers wrote:Actually, good catch. I need the cylinders bored. Not honed.
I was quoted $140 for boring each cylinder.
That is the service I need.
So you need two cylinders bored and honed to perfect specs. Determine exactly what dimensions you need. Exact.

You don't necessarily need a BMW machinist or even a bike machinist. You need a great machinist who knows engines. Shipping is this case will make almost no difference. Overall. So really you have the whole country to choose from. Start your search over and good luck. This is an exciting quest. Enjoy. :)
1971 R50/5, 1980 R100T,
CRF 300 Rally, CRF 250F,
1947 James ML
jagarra

Post by jagarra »

Any source you use for the bore job and finish honing will want the specs, pistons and rings. They will need everything so actual measurements can be made on the parts to be assembled.

Here is a contact that does motorcycle restorations, he is located in Carson City, Nevada. He also does the boring jobs for MC shops in the area, so he is experienced

His phone number is 775-841-5004 email: docjohnhoy@sbcglobal.net.

His name is John Hoy.

regards,

gg
1974 R90/6 built 9/73
1987 BMW K75S
1994 BMW R1100RS
1964 T100SR Triumph
1986 Honda XL600R
She'llbe

Re: Boring airhead cylinders? who does it?

Post by She'llbe »

The mechanic I use is OCD, actually he's CDO as he wants it in alphabetical order!!! I had to go to the next oversize and he got to pick the machinist. What a wonderful job he does for me and I'm so pleased he lives in my back yard. To bad it would cost a fortune to send your parts to Oz and back. I'm sure this group has a list of just as qualified technicians in the states.
From the desk of the
Mt. Nardi Yacht Club
PO BOX 95
Nimbin, NSW
Australia 2480
02-6689-1234
Kurt in S.A.

Post by Kurt in S.A. »

Check with BoreTech. They can bore your cylinders (I think they like to have the pistons) and will also carbide coat the walls...makes them like the Nikasil bores of the '81-on bikes. The cylinders don't wear so you just replace rings in the future.

As far as others who do the work, I think Tom Cutter sends them out to Randy Long. And I thought Ted Porter did them himself.

Kurt in S.A.
Duane Ausherman

Post by Duane Ausherman »

You must send the pistons with the cylinders.

How can anyone confuse boring with honing?
Ask the Indians what happens when you don't control immigration.
Roy Gavin

Post by Roy Gavin »

My old 78 Clymer with the High Performance How-To chapter at the back lists Brown Motor Works as the go to man for machine shop work, and as he is still around almost 40 years later he must be doing something right.

But he is probably the $140- man.

The guy in Adelaide who did them was the ex owner of the states largest machine shop, and a BMW nut with a collection which included just about every twin made post WW2.
He had a special set up at home which included a torque plate and facilities to heat the barrel to around working temperature, which he considered essential, so there may be additional costs which justify charging a bit more than normal.
Adelaide, Oz. 77 R75/7. 86 R80 G/S PD, 93 R100 GS, 70 BSA B44 VS ,BMW F650 Classic
khittner1

Post by khittner1 »

Specialized knowledge + precision machine tools + the costs of waiting around but being ready for someone with an old airhead's bore wear problem to show up once every 10-20 years should cost < $280?
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

Duane Ausherman wrote: How can anyone confuse boring with honing?
Yeah, how can some non-mechanic not experience with the process confuse one name for spinning something around inside the cylinder to remove material with the name for another process of spinning something around inside the cylinder to remove material?
MS - out