Rob Needs a New Brain

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Max Headroom

Re: Rob Needs a New Transmission

Post by Max Headroom »

I recall you debating with yourself about which flywheel to use, and thought you had most of a second '81 bike. Bugger.

From the sounds of the lockup after running dry, you may find little to salvage from your current 'box. Perhaps Matt might have a spare, or the Evil Fleabay?
"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint."

- Mark Twain
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

Bummer Rob.
Perhaps a s/hand box from uncle Matt?
Lord of the Bings
vanzen

a check list

Post by vanzen »

R65 Rob wrote: ... Do I see a pair of safety wire pliers in my future?

I'd be looking for a comprehensive pre-flight inspection routine first –
Always important, but especially important
when repairs or maintenance are performed
and / or the bike is laid-up for an extended period of time.

When working on or assembling a bike – OCD tendencies will be a blessing.
Duane Ausherman

Post by Duane Ausherman »

Rob, that sucks big time. I did this once to a good friend/customer. I performed the work myself rather than pay a (my) mechanic. Running the shop meant that I was interupted often. He brought the bike back in his truck a month later due to "It won't shift" symptom. Yep, I failed to fill it with oil, but the plug was in it.

When we pulled the plug, metalic dust fell out and lots of it. Only the case was useable and rear cover parts. He had gotten a lot of miles because his only rides were into town and home, only a couple of miles, so it didn't get hot.

We had had a fear of doing this and I was glad that it was me, rather than a mechanic. We came to the conclusion that the only way we could protect this from happening again was to first remove the fill plug. Then leave the fill plug out until the last moment in a service. Possibly leave it with the key would be even a bit better.

It never happened again, but then I was very seldom doing a full service after that, good thing too.

Safety wire won't help if it was just memory. A new crush washer won't either. We always replaced them on customer's bikes, but seldom on our own.
Ask the Indians what happens when you don't control immigration.
Deleted User 61

Post by Deleted User 61 »

I replace crush washers every time, esp. since I found that Huckys could supply me with the copper washers that actually DO crush!

Yes, this is another case of "that probably won't happen to me, twice".
Deleted User 61

Chris in BC wrote:You are lucky you didn't dump it at speed. Would have thought the oil draining from the tranny in a hurry could have covered the back wheel.
That is weird, because I checked under the bike for oil, and found none.

I'm not running across my drain plug anywhere in the shop, either.

Fresh rebuilt transmission from Psycle is $895.
Matt didn't answer his phone.
The guy in Texas takes Monday's off. (that is the suckiest part of motorcycling, imo)
Frog

Post by Frog »

Rob:

I am sorry to be so blunt about this, but when I read your post about the lack of drain plug....I had to laugh. What else can you do? If it had happened to me (which it certainly could), I would just have to have a sense of humor about it.

I can't imagine that this plug just fell out and you did not notice all of that oil. Especially gear oil.....that stuff smells up an entire garage with just a few drops.

Thanks for sharing honestly.

It would be worth getting into that tranny to see what happened, but my first thoughts are that you may not want to invest the parts and labor into a transmission that was run dry until it locked up. It would be cheaper (wiser) to get a good used one and run it.

Blaise
Jean

Re: Replacements? salvage?

Post by Jean »

Rob, I read on another site that "all the trannys from about 77-80 are the same"...They didn't exclude the R65's from the list.
Do you know if any other tranny will FIT your bike?
Since you have the heavy flywheel, etc, I wonder if it might be possible to find a used tranny for you...as in: from an ENGINE that ran without oil?.
Clemson, SC
R100s, R75/5
Deleted User 61

Re: Replacements? salvage?

Jean wrote:Rob, I read on another site that "all the trannys from about 77-80 are the same"...They didn't exclude the R65's from the list.
Do you know if any other tranny will FIT your bike?
Since you have the heavy flywheel, etc, I wonder if it might be possible to find a used tranny for you...as in: from an ENGINE that ran without oil?.
Jean, I got your email and sent you a reply.

Yes, Type 248's used the same gear box as the rest of the line for a given year.

I've heard that folks like to buy R65 transmissions because they don't see the HP that the bigger bikes put through them.
Do you think someone will want my "R65" gear box? :lol:
Deleted User 61

Frog wrote:Rob:

I am sorry to be so blunt about this, but when I read your post about the lack of drain plug....I had to laugh. What else can you do? If it had happened to me (which it certainly could), I would just have to have a sense of humor about it.

I can't imagine that this plug just fell out and you did not notice all of that oil. Especially gear oil.....that stuff smells up an entire garage with just a few drops.

Thanks for sharing honestly.

It would be worth getting into that tranny to see what happened, but my first thoughts are that you may not want to invest the parts and labor into a transmission that was run dry until it locked up. It would be cheaper (wiser) to get a good used one and run it.

Blaise

That is OK, Blaise, I am surprised at how well I am taking this, really! Of course, this is going to put a serious dent in my La-Z-Boy love-seat budget...

The more I think about it, that drain plug must be in the garage somewhere, along with a full bottle of gear lube.... :evil:

I like Vanzen's advice:
"I'd be looking for a comprehensive pre-flight inspection routine first –
Always important, but especially important
when repairs or maintenance are performed
and / or the bike is laid-up for an extended period of time."

And hopefully my mistakes will help others.