How many Omegas ?

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Major Softie

Re: How many Omegas ?

Post by Major Softie »

Jean wrote:Right, Duane. And they ARE cheap compared to short life of electronic systems mentioned.
In another post tho, we read that using feeler gauges is a PITA.
Maybe that's because it takes a bit of skill and understanding what's going on in there.
I DID mention that I used a wire gauge to set the points.
Interestingly (or sadly?) I find that when I mention a WIRE GAUGE, I get some really BLANK looks from people I'm talking with.
I've never heard of using wire gauges for points. They are, of course, the preferred method for plugs. I don't think mine would fit well for points.
MS - out
Jean

Post by Jean »

Mine are "L" shaped so make doing the points easy.
Flat are OK for the first set-up but after use when those little tits-and-pits form, flat just doesn't work so great.
Clemson, SC
R100s, R75/5
Steve in Golden

Post by Steve in Golden »

Dunno about Omegas but I had a Dyna III on my R80/7 for approx. 15 years, no issues. There was a Dyna III on my R100/7 too, no problems with it either.
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

Jean wrote:Mine are "L" shaped so make doing the points easy.
Flat are OK for the first set-up but after use when those little tits-and-pits form, flat just doesn't work so great.
Ah, mine are full loops. Now I understand.
MS - out
Chuey

Post by Chuey »

I found setting points to be way too fiddly. Maybe my points plate is too worn out.

Chuey
Norm T R100T R1150RT

Post by Norm T R100T R1150RT »

I'll re-install my "Bean Can" before my next lengthy excursion - with either a switch or alternate wire in an accessible spot (condenser to the coil) - still plan to use the Omega, til it gives out, if at all - at what mileage interval should I inspect/adjust the points for wear ? I've been carrying the "Can" with me , in my top box, in case of a failure, to preserve the unit. Suggestions ? As always, thanks for any and all input. Gonna be ridin some "Forest" roads (dirt I expect) in the Blue Ridge Mountain area this weekend and will miss the lighter and easier handling of my Airhead over my Oilhead. - Thanks again ...
Norm Taylor
1980 R100T Airhead
2002 R1150RT Oilhead
1950 HD Panhead
Southern Maryland, USA
2003 K1200 GT
richard t

Post by richard t »

Chuey wrote:I found setting points to be way too fiddly. Maybe my points plate is too worn out.

Chuey
some years ago I bought a handy points setting tool from a guy Daune knew, I can't remember his name, you take the fly weights off and slip it over the shaft, set points, makes know difference where the eng is at in the rotation. it has worked well for me.
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

Here's another new player in the electronic ignition field.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthre ... st19529889

How might you compare this to Ricks Alpha setup?

http://www.motoelekt.com/ignition.htm
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

richard t wrote:some years ago I bought a handy points setting tool from a guy Daune knew, I can't remember his name
That would be Paul Tavenier, I think he's asking $20 for them these days. Image
r90s

Post by r90s »

I have been using Slilent Hektik ignitions in a couple of bikes for about ten years, Zero problems.
Cheers,