garmisch-partenkirchen

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Deleted User 287

Re: garmisch-partenkirchen

Post by Deleted User 287 »

Yes, I think you can count on 45 MPG (US gallons) like enigma said.

I do hope you plan to put a few all-day rides on the bike before taking it to the continent! That way you can find out how the seat is.
I didn't mind my seat back when both the bike and I were younger (the eighties), but for the last 10+ years my original saddle got really bad. Even after I refoamed it (with supposedly good foam) I could only do 1/2 hour.
Beads didn't work, sheepskin didn't work, nor did a gel pad (which works delightfully on my new CBR250R!).

I ended up replacing the seat with a replica from S. Meyer and was never more comfortable!
montmil

Post by montmil »

I have two R65s, 1981 and 1983 models. I would have zero concerns riding either bike anywhere for any distance. Do a complete pre-trip and enjoy the ride.
1981 R65
1983 R65
1978 R100S
1995 Triumph Trophy
derek1922

Post by derek1922 »

I thought that those gel pads were supposed to be the mutt's nuts,I seriously thought about getting one,saved some money i suppose!
Deleted User 287

Post by Deleted User 287 »

derek1922 wrote:I thought that those gel pads were supposed to be the mutt's nuts,I seriously thought about getting one,saved some money i suppose!
They might be different for different bottoms.
All I know for sure is it did nothing to relieve the pain on the R65, but it is a god send on the 250 single. Maybe because the Honda never had that cushy of a seat to begin with?

The seat on the Honda is firm (a nice way of saying hard), but I think mostly what the pad does for me is isolate me from the vibes. When I slide back and touch the pillion seat, I can REALLY tell the difference.

I only weigh 175 lbs (12.5 stone) without my gear, so it's not like I'm a real heavyweight.

R65:
(with new foam - still down on the rails)

CBR:

More pictures and close-ups here: http://www.pbase.com/tomfarr/butt_buffer
derek1922

Post by derek1922 »

I see what you mean,I'm around 12.5 stone myself.