What to look for?

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
chasbmw

Re: What to look for?

Post by chasbmw »

That bike looks clean and honest, I bet that the mileage is correct to.

One of these days RTs will become fashionable again, at least the Widow is unlikely to waste her time and money Cafeing/Bobbing/Scrambing the poor thing.
Charles
Replica 1070 R90/S (based on 82 RT)
1975 R90/6
Ken in Oklahoma

Post by Ken in Oklahoma »

Zombie Master wrote: Some guys like the condom like protection.
OMG, a terrible image came to mind, one that I once saw in a cartoon years ago. This naked guy was wearing a man sized condom, with only his feet exposed underneath The condom had a reservoir end above his head. This buxom gal, sitting on the bed, was saying something. Can't remember what it was though.

It would be a perfect cartoon though for a best caption contest. Maybe it was.

Ken

Post by Chuey »

At Thanksgiving time, I bought an RT to try for my goal of a thousand mile day. I paid $3400.00. It didn't have the bags but is in great condition but not quite as sharp looking as that one. It still has the air injection system. I rode it just a tad over 800 miles the first day I had it. Started out in the rain and went over the Siskiyou (sp?) Pass.

The RT does have a funny riding position (to me). I can see why it would be good for two up....or grannys.

My approach would be to take it for a test ride and then pay the widow unless there's something expensive wrong with it. Think about it. What a heck of a machine for that money!

Chuey
khittner1

Post by khittner1 »

Well, we'll just leave comments involving lube leaks, ribbed transmissions, etc. to others . . .

They do remain great machines from late March through May, and late September through mid-November. Whether global warming will broaden or further narrow their appeal remains TBD.
Ken in Oklahoma

Post by Ken in Oklahoma »

Chuey wrote: The RT does have a funny riding position (to me). I can see why it would be good for two up....or grannys.
Hey, watch it there buster. I represent that remark! :roll:

Ken, young (and un-creaky) at heart in Oklahoma

Post by Major Softie »

Chuey wrote:I rode it just a tad over 800 miles the first day I had it. Started out in the rain and went over the Siskiyou (sp?) Pass.

Chuey
You are correct, sir.
MS - out
melville

Post by melville »

So the widow who's selling (WWS) spoke to the widow who wants to buy (WWTB) yesterday. First refusal guy has not first refused, and I know my coworker (WWTB) has charmed the pants off the seller. But she hasn't charmed the bike out of the seller yet. First refusal guy has a week to make up his mind.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world.
melville

Post by melville »

First guy went to see it and fired it up, but something was leaking (turns out it was old fuel lines), so WWS trailered it to a local shop. I took a chance yesterday that it was my local Airhead guy and stopped by for a preview. Boogity, it's sweet! Local Airhead guy confirms.

I'd been concerned that WWTB wouldn't be able to operate the clutch with her 81 year old grip, but I'd never squeezed a late clutch before. What a difference!

First refusal guy still hasn't first refused............
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world.
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

melville wrote:
Hasn't the clock about run out?
MS - out
melville

Post by melville »

Major Softie wrote:
melville wrote:
Hasn't the clock about run out?
WWS is granting a long leash. WWTB is patient, something she's learned in her 81 years.