Bean can problem

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Kurt in S.A.

Re: Bean can problem

Post by Kurt in S.A. »

This link has a picture similar to yours:

http://www.gunsmoke.com/motorcycling/r1 ... index.html

The two points that rub seem to be below the level of the unit, not sticking out like yours do.

Kurt in S.A.
FMurtz

Post by FMurtz »

You seem a bit upset,
it is obvious that something is wrong because mechanically the two pins should not bear on the washer, I asked the question because I thought some one may know what.
I have now rectified the problem but thank you for your helpful input. :)
Jeff in W.C.

Post by Jeff in W.C. »

FMurtz wrote: I have now rectified the problem but thank you for your helpful input. :)
Glad to hear that you fixed. But, what was it?
Jeff in W.C.
1988 R100 RT
2018 R1200 GS
"I've got my motorcycle jacket, but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer/Clash
PITAPan

Post by PITAPan »

FMurtz wrote:You seem a bit upset,
it is obvious that something is wrong because mechanically the two pins should not bear on the washer, I asked the question because I thought some one may know what.
I have now rectified the problem but thank you for your helpful input. :)
Me? No. I ain't the one with the fit up problem. When I do have one, then I get upset.

To answer the question you didn't quite ask: No, there isn't some common or classic boo-boo that causes the problem you are seeing. It isn't like, "Oh, yeah, you got the furmann bushing in backwards..."

But yes, that there is a problem is obvious and if you've replaced the sensor already you have plenty of mechanical skill. So..,.

Glad you got it all going right. Appearances not withstanding, I had every confidence. ;)
dirtsurfer

Post by dirtsurfer »

Kurt in S.A. wrote:This link has a picture similar to yours:

http://www.gunsmoke.com/motorcycling/r1 ... index.html

The two points that rub seem to be below the level of the unit, not sticking out like yours do.

Kurt in S.A.
boy I wish I had this link last week end.

do all the mechanical advance weights have that plastic cap on the end? I mean the arrowhead shaped white plastic tip on the distal end of each weight
I'm sure my '81 did not