Rob Needs a New Brain

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Major Softie

Re: Rob Needs a New Brain

Post by Major Softie »

justoneoftheguys wrote:edit: and besides, they have never been "gone through" since they were new (1978), so it probably wouldn't hurt.
Anyone who admits that they are "not a mechanic," and who thinks that they can't hurt anything by rebuilding their carbs . . . is not a mechanic. :roll:
MS - out
Deleted User 287

Post by Deleted User 287 »

Oh, no doubt I'll probably muck something up. I was hoping to get through life without having to replace butterfly shaft o-rings, but apparently not. It is the peening of the screws without bending the shaft that concerns me the most.

But we shouldn't be talking about this here. It upsets Duane.
Garnet

Post by Garnet »

"But we shouldn't be talking about this here. It upsets Duane."

I dunno, I think he'd agree that eveyone should be subject to a good peening.
Garnet

Ken in Oklahoma

Post by Ken in Oklahoma »

justoneoftheguys wrote:But we shouldn't be talking about this here. It upsets Duane.
Rob, I understand that you haven't (purposefully) morphed this topic into a carb topic. Nevertheless I suggest that you create a brand new new virgin thread entitled somethig like "How do I evaluate, overhaul, and adjust carbs?"

That is a pretty wide focus and the topic should easily go to 10 pages before it is all over--and could go to 20 if there is disagreement about carb syncing.

And be sure to include how the R65 is acting that suggests carbs as the problem.

Just trying to be helpful here. But think about the possibilities!!! :shock:

You could even become legendary--make that more legendary.

And I can even imagine some bright psychology student doing his or her thesis about this one topic.

Ken, being helpful in Oklahoma

Post by Duane Ausherman »

justoneoftheguys wrote:But we shouldn't be talking about this here. It upsets Duane.
I know you jest, but it still put a smile on my face. Facing my "today" I need to start with a smile, so thanks.

I suggested a new thread for reasons that Ken well elaborated.

My position is that I do not suppport "rebuilding carbs" but just fixing what is wrong. Seldom did they need what could be called rebuilding. Of course by this time many are 35 years old and never have been kept up to snuff. They probably do need rebuilding.

First one must evlauate them by the adjusting process. Some could respond by saying that they don't have the expertise to do that. I posit that that person also doesn't have the expertise to rebuild and then adjust them.

Does that sound like a good plan? Even if rebuilding were some simple "paint by the numbers" thing, one would still be left with the "adjusting" part.

Throwing time and money at this just isn't the solution alone. It will certainly require time, but not so much money.

Off into my "today" and will return in a few days.
Ask the Indians what happens when you don't control immigration.
Jean

+1, Time for a new thread

Post by Jean »

Time for a new thread. this one takes too long to load.
SO...Just WHAT was the bike DOING (or NOT doing) that you felt the carbs needed messing with?

and just to be "me"...it DID hurt, didn't it? and it cost $$ to make it hurt.
OUCH.
Clemson, SC
R100s, R75/5
Jean

Post by Jean »

Another day... and this time in broad daylight!!
Still no new thread.
When it appears, I'll repost what is here.
In the meantime...
Symptoms. please, ROB.
Backfiring when slowing down (off-throttle) popping in the X-pipes...air leakage in the x-pipes.
Ragged lean running, that needed a bit of throttle ALL the time effectively holding idle at 1500 RPM or so...air leaking in somewhere around the CARB nozzles.
Then, sloggish response (for my bike, the 78) led to replacing the diaphragms. WOW, what a change.

So, what was the initiating action that disturbed you?? AND start a new thread.
Clemson, SC
R100s, R75/5