Rob Needs a New Brain

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Max Headroom

Re: Replacements? salvage?

Post by Max Headroom »

R65 Rob wrote:
Jean wrote: Yes, Type 248's used the same gear box as the rest of the line for a given year.

I've heard that folks like to buy R65 transmissions because they don't see the HP that the bigger bikes put through them.
Do you think someone will want my "R65" gear box? :lol:
Yeah, which is a detail that makes the detuned Germany-only R45 gearboxes very attractive. I have a friend in Germany who's sent me a few R45 gearsets, and they show no wear at all.

As for the '77 - '80 'boxes all being the same, don't forget that the '77 - '78 housings are smooth. No biggie though . . .
"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint."

- Mark Twain
Deleted User 61

Re: Rob Needs a New Transmission

Post by Deleted User 61 »

Quite honestly, I would like a smooth-case box, only so I can keep my bike showroom fresh! :lol:

(those fins are a bitch to clean around!)
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

Frog wrote:Rob:
I am sorry to be so blunt about this, but when I read your post about the lack of drain plug....I had to laugh. What else can you do? If it had happened to me (which it certainly could), I would just have to have a sense of humor about it.

Thanks for sharing honestly.
Blaise
Well, I don't know if I'd laugh, but I do know it would be hard to tell everyone here what I'd done. Good on ya, Rob, for fessing up.
MS - out
Deleted User 61

It never occurred to me not to!

I guess you can thank my parents for that.
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

R65 Rob wrote:It never occurred to me not to!

I guess you can thank my parents for that.
Thank you Mrs. Valdez!

You'll get it fixed. :D
Any and all disclaimers may apply
Deleted User 61

And you can thank my daughter for making me a Type O Negative fan!
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

R65 Rob wrote:I only have one transmission.

I never had a parts bike, but I have bought almost a 2nd bike in parts.
I bought a complete '81 engine that came with the clutch, but I decided to use my heavy flywheel and my (only) '79 transmission.

Then I bought a frame, which may have caused you to believe I had a whole bike at one point.

I will most likely sent the box out for repairs. I can't see me doing that kind of work. And I don't recommend trying to talk me into it.
Maybe it's time to put that tranny on a table and rebuild it. Tons of resources around and it sounds like a project with great satisfaction. Plus you'll know for sure what you have.

Heavy flywheels rule! :)
Any and all disclaimers may apply
gspd

Post by gspd »

Zombie Master wrote: Maybe it's time to put that tranny on a table and rebuild it. Tons of resources around and it sounds like a project with great satisfaction. Plus you'll know for sure what you have.
At least open it up so you can post some pics for us. :o
There may be only a few salvageable parts in there because it was ridden to destruction (seized).
Parts with obvious damage are scrap, all the bearings are scrap, any blued parts are scrap; might be some good parts on the gear selector mechanism, etc.
you never know til you open it up.
Does it really smell burnt?
Mechanic from Hell
"I remember every raging second of it...
My bike was on fire, the road was on fire, and I was on fire.
It was the best ride ever!"
Frog

Post by Frog »

R65 Rob wrote:
Frog wrote:Rob:

I am sorry to be so blunt about this, but when I read your post about the lack of drain plug....I had to laugh. What else can you do? If it had happened to me (which it certainly could), I would just have to have a sense of humor about it.

I can't imagine that this plug just fell out and you did not notice all of that oil. Especially gear oil.....that stuff smells up an entire garage with just a few drops.

Thanks for sharing honestly.

It would be worth getting into that tranny to see what happened, but my first thoughts are that you may not want to invest the parts and labor into a transmission that was run dry until it locked up. It would be cheaper (wiser) to get a good used one and run it.

Blaise

That is OK, Blaise, I am surprised at how well I am taking this, really! Of course, this is going to put a serious dent in my La-Z-Boy love-seat budget...

The more I think about it, that drain plug must be in the garage somewhere, along with a full bottle of gear lube.... :evil:

I like Vanzen's advice:
"I'd be looking for a comprehensive pre-flight inspection routine first –
Always important, but especially important
when repairs or maintenance are performed
and / or the bike is laid-up for an extended period of time."

And hopefully my mistakes will help others.
Vanzen's advice makes good sense. I am not quite that organized, but do have a few systems that help me out. I have a roll of blue masking tape in the shop. Whenever there is something that needs fluid, tightening, or attention....that I may miss, I put a small piece of tape on it. It stays there until the job is done. If I need, I write on the tape with a sharpie. That tape is so visible, that I see it right away when I walk into the shop. It sure has helped me, as I definitely have a fear of forgetting oil...

I have to admit that this system has come out of my learning the hard way. Luckily, it has only been minor things. I once rode off without tightening the rear axle pinch bolt. After three hours of riding, I figure out why my bike was a little less "tight" feeling.

Recently, I unhooked my battery, at the tranny breather, to take off my timing cover. Next morning, I went for a ride....halfway through the ride, I realized that my negative battery cable was just hanging in space. I had lost my breather bolt that had been hanging on the cable. Most importantly, the bike was starting and running because I had run a grounding wire per Rob Frankham.....so I really had never disconnected my battery. Dumb mistake
Deleted User 61

Yep, the tape - done deal (from now on). I have a roll above the work bench! :roll: