How old is your helmet?

This is for the discussion of Motorcycling. The art, the science, the theory of all things related to our favorite sport... riding motorcycles.
SteveD

Re: How old is your helmet?

Post by SteveD »

00weel wrote: What was the cause for the get off that did this damage to your helmet? It wasn't the big chunk of metal/sewer grate I remember you hitting years ago was it?
I avoided a car that did a turn in front of me (against the correct direction) in a one way street. I missed the car, but the severity of the avoiding move threw me off, and my helmet slid along the road a little and up a curved gutter. I was probably lucky the gutter wasn't an older style right angled design.
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
teo

Post by teo »

Schuberth C1 bought in 2000. Still tight and unscathed. I've changed the visor once and put in a new neckpiece.

Teo
Chuey

Post by Chuey »

I have 3 now. Arai, bought with money from when the lady hit me from behind. It's a very nice helmet but I seldom wear it. It's five years old now, at least. The next one is an HJC modular. I really like that helmet for the most part. One day it just wouldn't open up and I forced it open and a few plastic parts fell out. I bought a new modular helmet, Scorpion, I think. At the same time, I sent the old HJC in to have the hinging system fixed and when it came back, it was much nicer in most regards than the new one. The HJC is around four years old.

The new helmet has two things I really don't like about it. First, it is just too tight. The longest I've worn it is one hour. The guy at the store measured my head and said I should use a medium. When I got the medium home, I wore it while using the computer for twenty minutes and my head was sore for a day after that. They exchanged it for a large and that one is still on the tight side, enough so that I almost always use the HJC.

My oldest helmet is almost new. My next oldest helmet has been used a lot more. My newest helmet may stay really nice for a long time. They're all white and have reflective checkers around the base.

Chuey
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

Sounds like the Scorpion just isn't shaped for your head.
MS - out
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

Major Softie wrote:Sounds like the Scorpion just isn't shaped for your head.
Who makes a block shape? :roll:
Any and all disclaimers may apply
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

:lol: you guys crack me up!
Lord of the Bings
Chuey

Re: Ouch!

Post by Chuey »

Good one, ZM.

Chuey