'76 60/6 - deleting steering damper

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Texer

Re: '76 60/6 - deleting steering damper

Post by Texer »

That should have read "construction".....
1970 R75/5
1974 R90s
opus451

Post by opus451 »

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

One bit I wondered about during the exchange is, and this is not having any knowledge of what they look like or how they bolt up, can an Ohlins be fitted to the old bikes plug and play?

I will give sans damper a trial period and if I survive, and without much loss of whatever nerve I have left, i'll continue on. Can always sock it back up even if for peace of mind.
Eric "Opus" Carlsen
A Brooklyn native
1976 R60/6
KellyVB 75R90S

Post by KellyVB 75R90S »

I finally took mine off last month, It never worked anyway, all the juice had leaked out.
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

Opus, I'm sure an Ohlins could be fitted, although there's always the possibility you may have to do a bit of custom work to get it to fit.

Whether it's a good idea though....

For a track bike, it's probably a great idea. For a street bike, I suspect it would just tend to mask misalignment issues.
MS - out
melville

Post by melville »

Major Softie wrote:Opus, I'm sure an Ohlins could be fitted, although there's always the possibility you may have to do a bit of custom work to get it to fit.

Whether it's a good idea though....

For a track bike, it's probably a great idea. For a street bike, I suspect it would just tend to mask misalignment issues.
If I ever do a steering damper, I'd use the stock mount points on the frame and lower triple. There are two 5mm tapped holes on the lower triple for the rack adjustment hardware. For most aftermarket dampers, you'll need to drill and tap the left mount hole on the lower triple for an 8mm stud. Similarly on the frame mount--do what you need to do to get 8mm hardware in that spot. IIRC you need a damper with a minimum of 65mm travel to work.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world.
jagarra

Post by jagarra »

Well, you started something with the replacement of the damper handle. I had this old aluminum cranking handle that I used when I rebuilt teletype machines, way back in the 70's. It had been kicking around my toolbox where I worked, which I later brought home, because I thought it had a great shape. After looking for it for about 3-4 days off and on I finally found it in a old cabinet up in the attic of the garage. Modified it a bit, made a cap that screwed into the shaft, which I had to shorten about 1/4" and it worked out pretty well. I think it came out pretty good. I love using stuff that I saved Just in case..... :D

1974 R90/6 built 9/73
1987 BMW K75S
1994 BMW R1100RS
1964 T100SR Triumph
1986 Honda XL600R
Airbear
Location: Oz, lower right hand side, in a bit, just over the lumpy part.

Post by Airbear »

jagarra wrote:... I think it came out pretty good. I love using stuff that I saved Just in case..... :D
It certainly did. The really good thing is that you have the perfect justification to continue your hoarding habit, forever. Well done.
Charlie
and Brunhilde - 1974 R90/6

Graduate, Wallace and Gromit School of Engineering and Design (Pending)
Ken in Oklahoma

Post by Ken in Oklahoma »

Airbear wrote: It certainly did. The really good thing is that you have the perfect justification to continue your hoarding habit, forever. Well done.
I dislike the term 'hoarding' because it has judgmental negative connotations. What this world needs, or at least me, is a term that means the same thing except that thoughtful favorable connotations are attached.

I mean I really really want to find such a word. The best I've been able to come up with so far is 'motorcycle collector'. That's so much better than motorcycle hoarder. But at the piece part level I just can't find the term. The term 'motorcycle parts collector' has no panache'.

I'm not sure what panache' means but I'm pretty sure I don't have it at the parts level.

Ken
Location: Oz, lower right hand side, in a bit, just over the lumpy part.

Post by Airbear »

Hmm, I do get what you mean, Ken. But isn't your issue to do with semantics or cultural imperatives or something? I mean, the term 'hoarder' might conjure negative connotations in an over-consuming wealthy throwaway culture but here in the Australian bush a good hoarder may have god-like status. A hoarder has stuff. Stuff that can be re-purposed to fulfill a need.

In the above case, Jagarra sensibly stored a part from a teletype machine because he appreciated its beauty and knew that one day it would find its next place as a useful piece of industrial art. Of course he had to rummage through the attic but as a true hoarder he knew it was there and that it would suit his purpose. To me, Jagarra is god-like. He also has excellent taste in motorcycles and knows a pretty sheep when he sees one.

My name is Charlie and I am a proud hoarder of interesting objects that may come in handy one day.

Hoarding Pride - now there's a new movement to promote.
Charlie
and Brunhilde - 1974 R90/6

Graduate, Wallace and Gromit School of Engineering and Design (Pending)
Ken in Oklahoma

Post by Ken in Oklahoma »

Airbear wrote:Hmm, I do get what you mean, Ken. But isn't your issue to do with semantics or cultural imperatives or something? I mean, the term 'hoarder' might conjure negative connotations in an over-consuming wealthy throwaway culture but here in the Australian bush a good hoarder may have god-like status. A hoarder has stuff. Stuff that can be re-purposed to fulfill a need.

In the above case, Jagarra sensibly stored a part from a teletype machine because he appreciated its beauty and knew that one day it would find its next place as a useful piece of industrial art. Of course he had to rummage through the attic but as a true hoarder he knew it was there and that it would suit his purpose. To me, Jagarra is god-like. He also has excellent taste in motorcycles and knows a pretty sheep when he sees one.

My name is Charlie and I am a proud hoarder of interesting objects that may come in handy one day.

Hoarding Pride - now there's a new movement to promote.
Oh thank you, Charlie! Your wisdom has rung true with me. Yes, or course! How could I have so lost sight of what is really important?

P.S. Yesterday I went to a great museum run by a private couple right by the Snake River in Idaho. They used to raise Emu's for fun and profit, (I suppose). Since the Emus are from your part of the globe I thought of you. I also thought that I would hate to be caught in a blind alley by an emu that I had somehow inadvertently offended.

Ken, renewed in Oklahoma Boise