funholiday

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
richard t

Re: funholiday

Post by richard t »

glad to hear your back riding again. What every you can ride, ride. :D
sabre2

Post by sabre2 »

An update on my situation,Saturday 26th saw me riding my Virago 535 around 75 miles with wife Diane on the pillion ! First time she's been my bike passenger for almost a year.Travelled around Alcester (near Stratford Upon Avon),Had a nice pint at a riverside pub,Great to be back on two wheels,but rather have been on the BMW.Maybe,in the future.Blue Skies,KC.
Blue Skies,K.C.
Deleted User 287

Post by Deleted User 287 »

Good for you!

What you need is a /2 conversion rig! (don't forget the disc brake conversion up front!)

8-)
sabre2

Post by sabre2 »

sabre2 wrote:What you need is a /2 conversion rig! (don't forget the disc brake conversion up front!)
Got me foxed there ! What's /2 conversion rig ? My bikes all have disc brakes at front.('cept my '63 Matchless)
Blue Skies,K.C.
Deleted User 287

Post by Deleted User 287 »

It is a pre-1970 airhead with an Earles fork front end.
With just a few minor modifications, a Type 247 engine and gearbox will drop right into the earlier frame.
This gives you much more reliability, power, 12v electrics (/2's can be converted to 12v) and just a generally easier to work on powerplant.

The Earles fork is the cheapest way to get into a leading link front end, which is the superior set-up for sidecaring.
The frame of the early BMW's ('55-'69) were built TOUGH, specifically for sidecar use. Most even have sidecar mounts built in to the frame!

And sidecar rigs are a BLAST! to ride! Not a motorcycle by any stretch of the imagination. An entirely different animal. And one that gives a MUCH larger image for cage drivers to notice, as a bonus!
sabre2

Post by sabre2 »

Well,a brief update on my situation.......After my recent trip to see a surgeon I was advised that removal of the iterfemoral nail would be done soon...Then an MRI scan....Then possible knee replacement..followed by hip replacement.I'm still able to ride a bicycle(Brompton)and the dreadful Yamaha V1agra.The BMW R100rt remains unridden.I COULD ride it,But am unable to move it about to replace in the garage.Although seventy years old--I'm not enjoying retirement....p.s.And I'd return to skydiving too if I could.NO REGRETS.Blue skies,KC.
Blue Skies,K.C.
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

sabre2 wrote:p.s.And I'd return to skydiving too if I could.NO REGRETS.Blue skies,KC.
I don't see how skydiving should be a problem with your current injuries.

Okay, landing has some issues, but the diving part: no problem!
MS - out
sabre2

Post by sabre2 »

Yeh,I can laugh at it too.Getting the medical shouldn't be a problem---as I'd do my own ! My wife said she wouldn't come with me if I jumped again-----She didn't enjoy my last one too much.But it's like riding your motorcycle,If you have an accident---You've GOT TO get back on it again eh? Blue skies,KC.
Blue Skies,K.C.
sabre2

Post by sabre2 »

Well,"The letter"has arrived ! My surgery for removal of the Inter femoral nail should be on April the ninth.Not looking forward to that.Meanwhile I'm still riding the REVILED V1agra.Blue Skies,KC.
Blue Skies,K.C.
sabre2

Post by sabre2 »

Well,The "nail"was removed on the 9th as arranged.A couple of hours later I was hobbling out of hospital with walking stick and a large bag when my surgeon quickly walked past me and said"That looks sore"! Bloody piss-taker.Agony for a few days,still painful--But,Hey--I'm still alive and kicking(Not literally).Blue skies,KC.
Blue Skies,K.C.