Elementary question - leaky carbs

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Garnet

Re: Elementary question - leaky carbs

Post by Garnet »

Tim Shepherd wrote: I tried swapping a bowl from another carb, and wala nui ho, no more leak! Apparently it was seeping out where the brass tube exits the bowl. I figure either the tube is cracked, or somehow got loose...
I have a pair of bowls that have the vent tubes JB Welded in. One leaks the other doesn't.

Wala nui ho. 8-)
Garnet

Chuey

Re: Elementary question - leaky carbs...fixed!

Post by Chuey »

I feel like a fool. It turns out that the carb leak was actually the fuel lines had deteriorated. The line I used was the German kind with black fabric around it. Both sides leaked where the hose connects to the carb so that was not visible.

I had recently read about some ethanol resistant fuel line from Gates. I bought some of that. We'll see how it lasts. The other stuff didn't last long. I had it on my black R100CS replica and it went bad on that bike as well. Will be replacing all the lines on that bike soon.

Thanks for all the help.

Anyway, took the Cafe' Racer for a fang today. I love that bike! I stopped by "Seaweed and Gravel" a used clothing and cool old motorcycle store. The guy didn't even come out and look at my bike. They have some pretty cool old bikes but mine would be one he would have appreciated. I wonder if "coolness" was involved.

Chuey
godot

Re: Elementary question - leaky carbs...fixed!

Post by godot »

[quote="Chuey")
I had recently read about some ethanol resistant fuel line from Gates. I bought some of that. We'll see how it lasts. The other stuff didn't last long. I had it on my black R100CS replica and it went bad on that bike as well. Will be replacing all the lines on that bike soon.[/quote]

Chuey, where'd you get that fuel line? I gotta replace mine, too. Same story.
R65LS
Chuey

Post by Chuey »

It's called Gates Barricade fuel line. I googled it to find an auto parts store that carried it. A store eleven miles away was listed so I called and they said they had it. When I got there, they didn't have it. They checked on their computer and told me another Car Quest store had it. They couldn't find it until they punched the number into their computer and it came up with the new part number. At least that's the way I understand what happened. So, what I'm saying is it may be confusing.

I bought 5' of the 1/4" and it cost $21.00. It's hard to push onto the fittings but it does fit.

Chuey
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

A little rubber grease or bearing grease helps a lot to get that tight fuel line on. No clamps needed to hold it on the barbs.
Lord of the Bings
godot

Post by godot »

Chuey wrote:It's called Gates Barricade fuel line. I googled it to find an auto parts store that carried it. A store eleven miles away was listed so I called and they said they had it. When I got there, they didn't have it. They checked on their computer and told me another Car Quest store had it. They couldn't find it until they punched the number into their computer and it came up with the new part number. At least that's the way I understand what happened. So, what I'm saying is it may be confusing.

I bought 5' of the 1/4" and it cost $21.00. It's hard to push onto the fittings but it does fit.

Chuey
Ok, thanks.
R65LS
Chuey

Post by Chuey »

ME 109 wrote:A little rubber grease or bearing grease helps a lot to get that tight fuel line on. No clamps needed to hold it on the barbs.
I either dipped it in a catch can of gas or put a couple drops of oil from the dipstick in the mouth of the hose and it helped. Still, a nice tight fit. (Straight line, gratis)

Chuey
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

Chuey wrote:
ME 109 wrote:A little rubber grease or bearing grease helps a lot to get that tight fuel line on. No clamps needed to hold it on the barbs.
I either dipped it in a catch can of gas or put a couple drops of oil from the dipstick in the mouth of the hose and it helped. Still, a nice tight fit. (Straight line, gratis)

Chuey
Yeah.....well, we all know that new hose will become ol' ho's and the fit won't be so tight.
Lord of the Bings