Foggy Headlight

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Scoots

Foggy Headlight

Post by Scoots »

I'm prepping my '89 R100RS for the winter. Everything's going well, but I noticed my headlight looks foggy or has a film inside it ...... sort of like the film that builds up on your windshield from the defroster vents. I haven't pulled the headlamp glass (it looks nice and clear), but when I do and I remove the headlight and the bulb from inside it, what do you do to clean all of that glass through the tiny headlamp hole?

I'm hoping I'm not the only Airhead that has dealt with this situation.
Image '89 R100RS Pearl White
SteveD

Re: Foggy Headlight

Post by SteveD »

If the mono is the same as the twin shock where the h/light is concerned, then it's easy enough.

The h/light glass is held to the headlight bucket by 6 clips, easily removable. There is a rubber gasket b/w the glass and the bucket. Order one now, as yours will likely need replacement.

Out with the fairing tunnel and the glass, then loosen the small philipps head screw at 6 o'clock under the chrome h/light rim.

It all comes out then, disconnect the bulb then away you go. Remove the 6 clips and the rest is intuitive.
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Steve D is spot on with this one although I would add from my own experience that using a feeler guage sometimes helps with separating the glass from the shell. Also you may want to consider having a spare rubber gasket available as they sometimes tear.
Finally the silvered surface of the reflector is very delicate and so don't touch it unless you really have to.
Good luck!
MikeB
1978 BMW R100RS Motorsport
1978 BMW R45/65
campy

Post by campy »

Here is my method of cleaning the fog out of the inside of the headlight. After I remove the headlight from the bike I pour rubbing alcohol into the headlight and slosh it around. Do it several times. Then put the light in the sun to dry out. Next to a wood stove works great too. It will clean up as good as new. I have used this on all my bikes. Campy