Helmet visors and heavy breathing

This is for the discussion of Motorcycling. The art, the science, the theory of all things related to our favorite sport... riding motorcycles.
Doug

Helmet visors and heavy breathing

Post by Doug »

Ive struggled with my Nolan N102 for 2 winters now dicing with death every time I breath out and I hit a specilally cold patch of air. It can produce instant almost complete whiteoutwithmisting on the insideof the visor. I've in fcat, had to ride with the visor up and air at -1degC and chill factor at 100kmph slicing across my face just to be able to see safely to ride... was not happy at all!
When I got the helmet, I looked at the anti misting kit thing and thought it was a bit of a gimmic and chucked it somewhere forgotten.
A week ago, however, I found the anti misting thing and with nothing to lose fiddled around for an hour or so fitting it.
To my complete astonishment, it works!
It comprises an clear flexible bit that is fitted to the inside of the main visor and according to the instructions, is supposed to be set so that there is a ventilated air gap between the inner visor and the outer one that is mounted to the helmet. I didnt worry too much about that... just got it into place and tried. Ive been riding in the early morning cold conditions a few times now and no sign of any misting!!.... It's a fiddley business to fit, but once in place, I see no reason why it shouldnt be a fixture.

So it just goes to show........ something.. not sure what! ;)
ME 109

Re: Helmet visors and heavy breathing

Post by ME 109 »

Firstly, stop thinking about sex while you're riding. That should reduce steaminess by 75%

This anti mist kit comprises the inner screen? We'll need pictures of course.
I sure can relate to misting up like that. My shoei used to have a small lever to keep the visor open just a tiny bit. That worked ok but it fell off.
I tried not to think about sex but I realised it would be better to get a new helmet.
Lord of the Bings
Sibbo

Post by Sibbo »

How about the bit of soft soap on the inside ? Does that work ? I haven't been game to use it yet in case I end up with a helmet full of bubbles . :mrgreen:
"You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know"
The Grateful Dead
Airbear
Location: Oz, lower right hand side, in a bit, just over the lumpy part.

Post by Airbear »

The frustrating bit about the instant mist thing is that I keep trying to avoid breathing out at critical moments. Can be exhausting. Since I am burdened with the same helmet and problem, I'll be digging out me anti-misting kit. Thanks Doug.

While we're at it, here's a question. Apart from thinking about sex, what do you like to do in your helmet? I sing a lot, trying to pick a key that suits what Brunhilde is singing at the time, to get that resonance thing happening. Our little duets can be very pleasing.

Coughing can be a problem, sneezing worse, and apparently, you really don't want to vomit.
Charlie
and Brunhilde - 1974 R90/6

Graduate, Wallace and Gromit School of Engineering and Design (Pending)
Garnet

Post by Garnet »

Sibbo wrote:How about the bit of soft soap on the inside ? Does that work ? :mrgreen:
No, I just think of her dropping the soap in the shower. :shock:
Garnet

Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

Airbear wrote:The frustrating bit about the instant mist thing is that I keep trying to avoid breathing out at critical moments. Can be exhausting. Since I am burdened with the same helmet and problem, I'll be digging out me anti-misting kit. Thanks Doug.

While we're at it, here's a question. Apart from thinking about sex, what do you like to do in your helmet? I sing a lot, trying to pick a key that suits what Brunhilde is singing at the time, to get that resonance thing happening. Our little duets can be very pleasing.

Coughing can be a problem, sneezing worse, and apparently, you really don't want to vomit.
I sing too. Definitely not a safe approach in the winter.
MS - out
enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

[quote="Major Softie
I sing too. Definitely not a safe approach in the winter.[/quote]

I'm trying to stop singing in my helmet. A couple of months ago I was singing (don't remember the song, sorry) when my right jaw hinge locked up on me. It took me some time to get my mouth closed again, as my helmet fits very snugly around my jaw and cheeks. I have some sort of TMJ problem and that was a new symptom.
Ed Miller
'81 R65
'70 Bonneville
Falls City, OR

"Gasoline makes people stupid." -- Chuey
"I'll believe corporations are people when the State of Texas executes one." Bumper sticker
vanzen

Post by vanzen »

Soap ? works for a minute.
Any "anti fog" crap readily available on the market ? for a short ride ... maybe.
Then re-apply ...

Doug, so this solution actually works. Give us some details, i.e. what, where, and how ...

A real problem, and the only viable solution for me has been to open the visor while stopped,
or keep it open for the duration, depending upon circumstances –
no fun in the cold ... as you may well know ...
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

The Schuberth Concept helmet range features a visor that "clicks" out a small distance from fully shut as a way to fight fog. It works beautifully. If you lived in an area with frequent heavy fog, it'd be a good buy.

I've used the Fog Tech anti fog wipes, and the new version is very good. They do need reapplication regularly, just like cleaning the visor needs to happen regularly.
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
Sibbo

Post by Sibbo »

I had an unpleasant experience the other night ,my visor fogged up as I went down through a dip ,there must have been a lot of moisture in the air then some fool came over the hill with his lights on high beam .

Instant blindness .Bloody amazing how fast you can get a visor up when you need to .

I really don't like night riding !
"You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know"
The Grateful Dead