Advice re purchase of 1980 R100 RS please

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Darryl Flynn

Advice re purchase of 1980 R100 RS please

Post by Darryl Flynn »

Hi,
i have been offered a very nice 1980 BMW R100RS which has covered 55,000 miles and is in really lovely condition. i understand this will have the ATE front brakes, heavy flywheel and NON Nikasil Barrels etc.

I have previously owned an 83 RS which had the Brembo brakes and Nikasil Barrels etc and from what i am led to believe was the best of the bunch.

My query is this, will this earlier bike prove to be as durable ( particularly the Non Nikasil issue )and easy to live with as my 83 and what are the major disadvantages of buying the earlier model if any?

Many thanks Darryl
My other bike is a Guzzi
chasbmw

Re: Advice re purchase of 1980 R100 RS please

Post by chasbmw »

Welcome to the forum,

I don't think that there are any paticular durability issues between the 2 models.

The heavier flywheel bike will be fairly different to ride, the heavy flywheel revs more slowly and the gear change quality is worse as you have to be much more carefully to match revs when changing down.

The ATE brakes are very wooden compared to the Brembos on the later bikes, they can be improved by fitting a 13mm handlebar master cylinder, but even after this they are not so good as stock brembos.

I run both types of bikes, and switch between them without any problems, I'm not sure why I will choose one bike over the other for a ride, so please don't be put off your purchase by my remarks.
Charles
Replica 1070 R90/S (based on 82 RT)
1975 R90/6
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

All of that can be dealt with, but, being used to the newer model, I suspect you will end up trying to turn the older one into a newer one. If you can adjust to the more "archaic" version, it's a nice bike, but if you will be more satisfied with the newer version, you're probably better off starting with a newer one.
MS - out
moosehead

Post by moosehead »

I had both at one tome...a 77 RS with dual ATE's, heavy flywheel etc and an 82 RS with the "modern" Brembo, light flywheel etc...I enjoyed them both for what they were and I just changed my riding style to suit particular bike.

Took me a while but after SS lines, Ferodo brake pads and proper set up of the ATE's they had lotsa stopping power. They can work well if set up right. I loved the 77's heavy flywheel especially cruising at 120kph + she was smooth and the high compression engine was a joy in passing anything in the way...Iloved her for what she was...alas can only have too many so off she went.

The 82 is a different bike...buttery smooth shifting tranny, pulls nicely and can stop adequetly. She's my "go to" all arounf bomber and I've fixed just about everything on her over the years so she's still got plenty of life in her...she stays.

You won't go wrong...just get used to what she offers and go with it...and a big grin on yer face ;)
Retired from work....not life!
Jean

Post by Jean »

From reading your post, It seems you do not have the 83 RS anymore. In that case, I think the 80, if the price is right, would be a good bike. The brakes are NOT THAT bad...as Moose notes. Sometimes a few little mods can make a LOT of difference. My 78 R100s benefitted a lot from going to the St-St brake lines, and some new pads. It's got 250K+ KM on it now and obviously does not have Nikasil cyls...
The heavier flywheel, etc. is not a big deal with shifting and acceleration...keep your revs up and synchronized.
Clemson, SC
R100s, R75/5
Darryl Flynn

Post by Darryl Flynn »

Jean wrote:From reading your post, It seems you do not have the 83 RS anymore. In that case, I think the 80, if the price is right, would be a good bike. The brakes are NOT THAT bad...as Moose notes. Sometimes a few little mods can make a LOT of difference. My 78 R100s benefitted a lot from going to the St-St brake lines, and some new pads. It's got 250K+ KM on it now and obviously does not have Nikasil cyls...
The heavier flywheel, etc. is not a big deal with shifting and acceleration...keep your revs up and synchronized.

Thanks for that. No i do not have the 83 anymore but this 1980 Rs is an absolute PEACH. I am almost certainly going to buy it seeing as the present owner has had it since 1984!

Darryl
My other bike is a Guzzi
Jean

Post by Jean »

Darryl, I bought my 78R100s used quite a LONG time ago...it was a GErman delivery bike and I have the original plate (Munich no less). The original owner brought it over to the US, went touring for about 6 months and by prior arrangement sold it to the (now defunct) BMW dealer in Lawrenceville Georgia. Said dealer took owner to the airport with duffle bag and side cases and he went home.
I replaced the rear main seal and the clutch a few years ago...you might still be able to read about that here.
Other than that, I put some new coils on it...and quite a long time ago, a Dynya II ignition that so far has been trouble free. I have also installed a Thunderchild diode board with a "sure-thing" ground wire!...even if you do not need a new diode board, be sure the grounding is really electrically solid.
Obviously you will get a chance to ride it and experience the shifting, etc. The low milage means you won't have any BIG jobs to do for many years in my opinion. And Motorbins is "just over the hill".
Clemson, SC
R100s, R75/5
Darryl Flynn

Post by Darryl Flynn »

Thanks Guy's i have agreed to buy it on Monday subject to viewing in the flesh but don't anticipate a problem as the high res photos of it have allowed me to study it carefully. It's been stored for a few years so will need oil and filters, fresh brake fluid and a battery but other than that it should be fine.

It has stainless brake lines, the frame has been stove enamelled back in 96 but still looks very fresh as does the paintwork.

Looking forward to getting it and selling my Mono R80RT, just hope my Guzzi ( which i will never sell ) doesn't get jealous :D

Darryl
My other bike is a Guzzi
Jean

Post by Jean »

Ha-ha. You will most likely NEED to clean the carburetors...really CLEAN.
Read other posts on THIS subject.
They get nasty where you cannot see in about 6 months.
Clemson, SC
R100s, R75/5
Darryl Flynn

Post by Darryl Flynn »

Bought It!!!!

Condition is really wonderful but obviously as it has stood for a quite a while i have made a start overhauling the brakes, then once i know i can stop i will fit a new battery and get the fuel system cleaned out and get her running.

Will post some pictures when i am a bit further down the line.

Darryl :D
My other bike is a Guzzi