New suspension technology

This is for the discussion of Motorcycling. The art, the science, the theory of all things related to our favorite sport... riding motorcycles.
Zombie Master

New suspension technology

Post by Zombie Master »

Any and all disclaimers may apply
Major Softie

Re: New suspension technology

Post by Major Softie »

Looks an awful lot like the Eklund air cartridges I put in my Judy XC mountain bike fork back in about '99.
MS - out
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

Major Softie wrote:Looks an awful lot like the Eklund air cartridges I put in my Judy XC mountain bike fork back in about '99.

Well nothing is actually new, but it makes sense to me use air as the spring, it would be truly progressive and easily adjustable. Losing the heavy steel spring has got to be a good thing as well. I just hope this kind of technology moves into street and dual sport machines.
Last edited by Zombie Master on Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Any and all disclaimers may apply
robert

Post by robert »

In the early '70s I ran Ceriani forks with no springs. Ajusted the progressive rate with air pressure and varied oil level. Nothing is really new.
Motu

Post by Motu »

I did that with my Ceriani's in the '70's too - broke a spring, took them out and used air. Got some springs made for $2 each and refitted springs later, but the air worked.... although it would end up collapsed after a few days because of leaks on the old fork legs.
robert

Post by robert »

Mine never leaked down but some of the places where I rode were pretty remote and I worried about seal failure so i went back to springs.
Chuey

Post by Chuey »

Major Softie wrote:Looks an awful lot like the Eklund air cartridges I put in my Judy XC mountain bike fork back in about '99.
That's actually "England" air cartridges. There is a lineage between those and the forks I now have on my 29er mountain bike. Mine are the last ones they made that have provisions for rim brakes. The company now is called White Brothers. I think the last name of the guy who made the England cartridges was England but I'm not sure. I may have one set of those air cartridges for a Manitou fork at the shop. Forks have come a long way since those early days.

Chuey
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

Chuey wrote:
That's actually "England" air cartridges. There is a lineage between those and the forks I now have on my 29er mountain bike. Mine are the last ones they made that have provisions for rim brakes. The company now is called White Brothers. I think the last name of the guy who made the England cartridges was England but I'm not sure. I may have one set of those air cartridges for a Manitou fork at the shop. Forks have come a long way since those early days.

Chuey
Coulda sworn it was Eklund. Must have confused them with something else. Seeing as how they are inside the forks I have had sitting on my shelf for 8 years or more, I haven't seen the name in quite a while. :mrgreen:
MS - out
Chuey

Post by Chuey »

Major Softie wrote:Coulda sworn it was Eklund. Must have confused them with something else. Seeing as how they are inside the forks I have had sitting on my shelf for 8 years or more, I haven't seen the name in quite a while. :mrgreen:
You are probably confusing your fork's name with a sex symbol's name. Britt Eklund. It's understandable.

Chuey
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

Chuey wrote:
You are probably confusing your fork's name with a sex symbol's name. Britt Eklund. It's understandable.

Chuey
:shock:

Lord of the Bings