Stainless muffler for R100GS?

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
DonW

Stainless muffler for R100GS?

Post by DonW »

Hi, it seems stupid, but I've collected 3 different final exhaust mufflers for my GS. All BMW original, all have same part # stamped on them. All appear in similar very good condition.

One of them is stainless steel, confirmed by "stainless steel" stamped on the unit, and it isn't magnetic (the others are).

So, is there any real advantage in stainless? The others seem to be corrosion free after many years? Gonna sell of the extras- which is best to keep and use, and what to sell?

Thanks,

Don
'83 R80ST
'92 R100GS
'04 R1150RTP
garage full of airhead parts...
chasbmw

Re: Stainless muffler for R100GS?

Post by chasbmw »

I like stainless steel, it will last for ever and polishes up nicely.

What usually kills silencers is internal corrosion, which on a chromed silencer goes unnoticed until a hole appears. If you live in a hot dry country and don't do short trips then internal carrosion way not be a problem.
Charles
Replica 1070 R90/S (based on 82 RT)
1975 R90/6
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

I agree, it's internal corrosion that is the main protection factor.

Also, in general, stainless mufflers tend to be lighter, as they don't have to give the added thickness to prevent premature rust-through. I'd compare the weights and see if there's any difference in the ones you have.
MS - out
DonW

Post by DonW »

Thanks guys. I weighed them- both within a few ounces of 10 lbs. I think I'll keep using the plain steel on that's on there, save the stainless for a spare, and sell the "other" plain steel one. Not sure how I ended up with so many...
'83 R80ST
'92 R100GS
'04 R1150RTP
garage full of airhead parts...