Airhead circuit board

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Ksmith8849

Airhead circuit board

Post by Ksmith8849 »

Does anyone know if the circuit board for the speed o,tach and idiot lights is available anyplace? I can't find it on the microfish. :?:
1979 R100RT
Deleted User 62

Re: Airhead circuit board

Post by Deleted User 62 »

They have been NLA from BMW for awhile. Check ebay...
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

pm sent.
They do come up on ebay periodically. However, they're getting more expensive quickly.
The newer post 1981 versions are more common and luckily for those owners the mono boards also fit them.

The pre 1980 are becoming difficult to find in perfect working order. Not impossible though.
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
captmako

Post by captmako »

There's one specifically for your bike on FleaBay right now. Just saying.
melville

Post by melville »

You can have a buncha fun with some wire and solder. Then maybe get only another 30 years out of it.

That said, the instrument illumination does wink in and out on mine. I'd spend an afternoon to fix it if I rode at night. All the warning lights are functioning.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world.
Ken in Oklahoma

Post by Ken in Oklahoma »

melville wrote:You can have a buncha fun with some wire and solder. Then maybe get only another 30 years out of it.

That said, the instrument illumination does wink in and out on mine. I'd spend an afternoon to fix it if I rode at night. All the warning lights are functioning.

That winking in and out happened to me on my '76 R75/6. After much wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth I figured out that the problem was a bad connection between the instrument cluster connector pin and the adjoining PCB etch. Evidently there was some hidden micro corrosion there. And it turned out that other pins were similarly affected.

My solution was to take a thin strand of copper wire (from a multiple stranded jacketed electrical wire) wrap it around the base of said pin and solder it. Then I removed the thin coating of plastic over the etch and soldered the other end of the wire strand to it.

I don't recall exactly how I re-covered the bared etch. Possibly I spread a thin layer of epoxy glue over it. A dab of RTV Silicone rubber might be a better idea.

Ken