Flickering oil pressure light

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Justdan

Flickering oil pressure light

Post by Justdan »

Well, that did not quite go as planned.

Today was the big annual classic bike show at Ross. Sunny day cruising at 110pkh. 3/4 quarters the way to Ross. The oil light start flickering. Stop have quick look and check oil level. Nothing obvious. Decide to ride the last 20km to Ross with the light on.

The oil pressure switch is the original from the factory an 33 years old. Arrive at Ross and the engine sounds fine. Do, I risk riding the 140 km home or see if I can orgainse a lift? Thought to myself. I should not push my luck an freind gave me a lift home in her mini. A person called John, who I have never met. Says no worries. I will put it in the ute an go out of my way to drop the BM to my door.

SteveD

Re: Flickering oil pressure light

Post by SteveD »

Annoying and worrisome. I hope it's just the switch.
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
Bamboo812

Post by Bamboo812 »

Might want to check that the pick up in the sump hasn't come loose.
George Ryals

Post by George Ryals »

First step, hook up an oil pressure gauge.
Smile it's contagious!
'74 R90S, '67 /2 Conv w/sc, '66 R50/2
'74 Harley FXE, '72 Harley FLH w/HD sc
'69 BSA 441 Victor Special, '74 R90/6 Basket case
'85 R80RT wreck for parts
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

Check oil filter o rings are correctly seated.

So the oil light went from 'flickering' to 'staying on' during this one ride?
Lord of the Bings
Duane Ausherman

Post by Duane Ausherman »

Justdan, that was a good idea to not take a chance. We had an oil gauge to hook up and used it from time to time. I don't recall finding a single oil pressure sensor to fail to work. We didn't have them in parallel, so we never knew if they would switch at the correct pressure.

By far the greatest issue was leaking oil and it was common.

Really good riders can use a lot of front drum brake and make the light turn on. The pan has no baffle, so hard braking forces the oil forwards and clears the pick-up point. Forget the single disc, as one can stop faster by dragging a foot:-)
Ask the Indians what happens when you don't control immigration.
Justdan

Post by Justdan »

Thanks Duane. I did not replace the oil pressure sensor on this bike as I have never had one fail. I was talking to the original owner yesterday and said that he has never replaced the sensor and it is the original.The sensor is 33 years and 192,000 km old.

Yesterday. I was playing around hoping it was an electrical problem. The reason I was going down that path was. At idle, the light is on. Turn handlebars to full lock and the oil light goes out.

Last week end i rode this bike for 200 km at 120- 140 kph and ran really well. Cannot remember if I have put a paper gasket on the non bendy oil filter. The bike has done 600km (400 miles) since I changed the oil.

Duane Ausherman

Post by Duane Ausherman »

The light going out probably means that the circuit lost continuity, not good. Find and fix the connection.

The light should be on at idle, as should the gen light. Both go off just above an idle.

Let is know what you find. We are happy to offer up suggestions since you are doing the work and we are sitting at the computer laughing at just how far you will follow our guesses.
Ask the Indians what happens when you don't control immigration.
Justdan

Post by Justdan »

I have also had the instruments on and off a couple times last week replacing bulbs. The continuity might be the plug in the back of the instruments not fitting properly.
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

Some correction required there Duane....
Duane Ausherman wrote:The light going out probably means that the circuit lost continuity, not good. Find and fix the connection.

The oil light should not be on at idle, as should the gen light. The GEN light only goes off just above an idle.

Let is know what you find. We are happy to offer up suggestions since you are doing the work and we are sitting at the computer laughing at just how far you will follow our guesses.
Duane, Duane, Diane ;) The OIL/GEN/NEUTRAL ijiot lights are on with ignition ON, engine not started. OIL off once started, GEN off above idle.
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.