New to me: R80G/S

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
The Bigfella

Re: New to me: R80G/S

Post by The Bigfella »

Great stuff Hans - well done.

Forget the speedo mate... save half a kilo and whack a pushbike speedo on it :P

Ian
The Bigfella

Post by The Bigfella »

Great stuff Hans - well done.

Ian
Garnet

Post by Garnet »

The Bigfella wrote:Great stuff Hans - well done.

Ian
I just stuck one (literaly) on my /5. $28 and it gives me my speed in miles or KMs as well as total dist and trip, the time of day and how many calories I burned (had I been pedaling my ass off). Oh ya........ and max speed on the last trip. :o
Garnet

grant81rs

Post by grant81rs »

Gidday Hans,

I just stumbled across this thread and bloody hell mate your are a lucky bloke, I've always fancied an old GS of some sort to tinker with in the shed.. Nice little project there indeed, so I've got no spare parts at all for older bikes only a full fairing for an RS which might look completely stupid on the GS but bloody warm & comfy, something to consider perhaps :lol: also I have 4 spare very good "Honda" Buffalo lawn mower engines so if you ever get stuck at all for a spare heart transplant they are really reliable engines but a little under powered to keep up with Charlie, I've collected them to replace the old engine on the mower but it just won't blow up......Anyway mate good luck with it and enjoy
Cheers, Grant
Gippsland - Australia

1978 R100RS
1981 R100RS
1994 K1100RS
2005 R1150gsa
ontic

Post by ontic »

SteveD wrote:Hans, some of my stuff looks very similar to the bits in your pix. Do you want me to post 'em? They fit in a takeaway curry container...small package.
Good news. Thanks a lot for the offer. If you are making it up to Sheepyard flats (and hopefully I am too) then maybe just bring it along then? I've got plenty to keep me busy in the mean time with the thing. Just sanded down the battery covers this evening- I think I will do the front and possibly the rear fenders too (they'r pretty rough)- for the upcoming repaint (black I think). Then the whole exhaust system will come off for a good old polish.... then... then...

If Sheepyard flats doesn't work out for one of us, then posting the bits would be great.
Jean wrote:The little spring that attaches to the needle is a critical part...better to get a new assembly for that.
Thanks, yeah from my tinkering and trying to figure out how the thing works I pretty much came to the same conclusion. We'll see what Steve's speedo parts offer.
Jean wrote:If only a piece of tape had been put over the hole....Or a plastic bag over the whole thing!!
Tell me about it! That is exactly what I was thinking the moment I stumbled across the bike. The tragedy was there was a perfectly good shed where it could have been living in. Oh well.

Ian, thanks mate. I see you have a new orange beasty as well. Nice one. Should be a good sized bike for you. They look like a lot of fun. The bike speedo I wouldn't mind as a temporary measure- but in the end I just couldn't stand looking at the broken speedo just sitting there. I've got plenty of time for this rebuild, so, I'll try to fix it first, and if that doesn't work then I'll keep an eye out on German ebay and other places for an affordable replacement (there is a good one on German ebay now, but it aint cheap), and then after that I will look into other options such as the digital speedo Charlie is installing or something like it.

Grant, :D
thanks a lot. Yes, the RS fairing might look a bit odd.

Cheers,
Hans.
1974 R90/6
1981 R80G/S
Armaguidon13

Post by Armaguidon13 »

G/S are great bikes, congratulation.
I've got one and I think I'll never sell it !
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

Hans. I'm unlikely to be going to Sheepyard Flats, as much as I'd like too! Send me
your address, and I'll get the bits posted off asap.
Steve
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
Sibbo

Post by Sibbo »

Hi Hans , I've just got back here .I think it was you that suggested the DIY soda blasting idea to me ? This one ....http://www.aircooledtech.com/tools-on-t ... a_blaster/
It might be a cheap and easy way to sort the alloy corrosion .What do you think ?
"You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know"
The Grateful Dead
grant81rs

Post by grant81rs »

Sibbo wrote:Hi Hans , I've just got back here .I think it was you that suggested the DIY soda blasting idea to me ? This one ....http://www.aircooledtech.com/tools-on-t ... a_blaster/
It might be a cheap and easy way to sort the alloy corrosion .What do you think ?

Nice simple idea Steve and easy to use to.....
Cheers, Grant
Gippsland - Australia

1978 R100RS
1981 R100RS
1994 K1100RS
2005 R1150gsa
ontic

Post by ontic »

Sibbo wrote:Hi Hans , I've just got back here .I think it was you that suggested the DIY soda blasting idea to me ? This one ....http://www.aircooledtech.com/tools-on-t ... a_blaster/
Gday Peter,
good timing. Yeah I think it was me that sent you that link a while back about the DIY soda blasting. Just this morning I was reading a funny thread on advrider about a guy trying to rebuild 3 Minsks (dismantled after a SE Asian ride and shipped back to the US).
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthre ... 122&page=6
Soda blasting episode

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

So, I am thinking I might try to set up a 'booth' of some sort in my friends garage instead of mine :lol:

not much real news from me.
The elbow grease method of cleaning up the heads and barrels has improved things, but more is required, and of course getting into the nooks and crannies is very hard. Soda blasting might be the thing to try next.

this side has been done by hand,

this side hasn't

of course the camera phone and flash isn't exactly the most flattering way to show the 'progress' but it is fair to say that the difference is pretty minimal.

On another note, I had to go to an engagement party out in the SE burbs yesterday. As I parked the car, what do I see, but a set of knobby tyres resting against a tree in the 'hard rubbish' style of being thrown out (offered up for junk collectors).
I checked them out, maybe a bit old, but pretty much unused. Correct rim diameter for the G/S- I think. Rear tyre may be a bit wide though.
Anyway, they are IRC TR8's, made in Japan, and they look OK. In the back of the car they went.
http://japan.webike.vn/products/1751117.html

The front looks like it could be a perfect fit, but the rear, the one I need more, looks like it might have some issues. It looks wider than my current tyre. Rubbing on the rear shock I have seems likely.

on that note,
I started a thread on advrider trying to identify my rear shock. Only suggestion so far is that it might be a Koni.
The numbers on it have had the first section ground off in some sort of incident. I want to rebuild the thing if I can.
The numbers left read: 3014-1009SPI KBA 90280
there are no other markings or brandings that I can find.

(second shot you can sort of see how close the shock is to the tyre- virtually touching- a 120/90-18M/C Bridgestone Trailwing)

Tyre fitment- google tells me 120/90 converts to something like 4.50/4.75. But I read somewhere that the 4.00 TR8 actually fits more like a 5.00.

Back to the rear shock:
maybe someone here has a suggestion as to what they might be. I will contact Ikon to see if it is an old Koni, and if so, if they offer support for rebuilding the thing.
Other than that I am looking at big $$$ for an aftermarket one. Pretty much beyond my budget for a while.
This rear shock was too soft and saggy and bounced around at highway speed. I've sinced cranked down the spring preload to where it feels a little better (and at least doesn't sag ridiculously under only the weight of the bike), but haven't taken it for another ride yet. A bit of oil leaking...

Cheers,
p.s. my photobucket account is full. Dammit. Will have to start another one I think.
1974 R90/6
1981 R80G/S