snowflake front wheel

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
bbelk

Re: snowflake front wheel

Post by bbelk »

I don't really understand the need to require a VIN. I am sure they didn't sell very many of those front wheels that were not attached to a bike. I also am not surprised - and I suppose it does keep them from having to implement some sort of audit process for the trade in wheel's destruction and gives them a reasonable guess as to how many are out there. Nevermind. Now I understand why they did it. Glad I could help me with that.
1975 R90/6
1979 R65
Ken in Oklahoma

Post by Ken in Oklahoma »

Kurt in S.A. wrote:I'd like to read that...haven't run across it before. It's been said that this recall is perpetual and there's no "that's good enough" level BMW has to get to. They have to continue to work at getting all of the "legitimate" wheels off the road, for those that people decide to turn in. The issue with the VIN is still there, so not sure what BMW is required to do. If you had a legitimate recall and it matched a VIN bike, I can't imagine what BMW would do if they said there were no more replacements. They are bound to remove the wheel from the road but can't leave the owner hanging...a spoke wheel won't do the job. Interesting pickle!
Kurt, I can't recall where I read something along the lines that BMW was running out of front snowflake wheels. Probably here. The other part of what I talked about was purely speculative on my part regarding what BMW might or might not be inclined to do. I guess I just have to think that BMW wouldn't be very keen on spending, say, $500 (including labor) to provide free front wheels for decades old motorcycles. I do seem to recall that BMW wouldn't just hand you a new front wheel and let it go at that.

Maybe somebody can chime in with more definitive information than mine.

Ken

Post by Kurt in S.A. »

Just reread some of the banter on the big Airlist that happened 2-3 years ago...Tom Cutter was working for B&S at the time and was involved in sending letters out to owners. He goes on the state that the recall is open until they reach an 85% recover point...he did say "if I remember correctly"...but I thought I'd read there was no requirement for recovery. If there were an 85% level to be reached, then possibly BMW stocked up on the appropriate number of replacement rims and when they are gone, that will have met the requirement, and they don't have to have any more so no need to open up a manufacturing line to make new rims. Just a thought...

Kurt in S.A.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Bob,

The best response I have heard so far is Major Softie:
sell it (on http://www.ibmwr.org/ ) describing what exactly it is, [and my part] and appeal to the artist in a potential buyer. Ceiling chandelier? :?:

Yeah, you will loose some money. :(

I couldn't sleep knowing I sold it to someone that will ride with it. Maybe the guy that sold it to you didn't know. If he is a professional worth his salt, he may surprise you, with at least a compromise.
Rob V
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

I have no idea if this has been doctered to show the problem.

Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.