Electrical Issue

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Holysmoke

Electrical Issue

Post by Holysmoke »

I'm getting som good checkout rides here in Ridegcrest, Ca. I've developed a new electrical problem, my 1978 R100S brake light/turn signal/ volt meter circuit

Voltmeter read usually zero, no brake lights or turn signal. It was fine before. But sometime after I removed my turn buzzer relay because it was shorting out my driving lights circuit, this problem happened. I had turn and brakes lights for a while, then nothing. Once in a while the volt meter will jump up and stay until I touch the brake or turn signal. Then it drops to zero where it will normally will sit. It acts like a bad connection or ground. This circuit was fine till I fixed the driving lights circuit popping fuses by removing the buzzer relay. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Ron
Rob

Re: Electrical Issue

Post by Rob »

If you are still using the original style ceramic fuses, that may be your problem. Either one of them has blown, or it is not making good contact.
Try rotating the fuses in their holder. If your lights come on, that is the issue.
And you should consider replacing the fuse holders with blade-type fuses. They are much more reliable. You can even route them outside your headlight shell if that is where yours are located.
Rob V
Duane Ausherman

Re: Electrical Issue

Post by Duane Ausherman »

I would first suspect a poor ground connection at the battery. Remove, clean, grease up and install.
Ask the Indians what happens when you don't control immigration.