electronic ignition

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Ken in Oklahoma

Re: electronic ignition

Post by Ken in Oklahoma »

richard t wrote:I believe Ken in OK had one quit him one time.

Indeed I did, only it was two times. I am now a card carrying Dyna III bad mouther.

My first problem with the Dyna was with the timing. Though I know it's possible to adjust the sensors independently, I never was able to get the timing marks on top of each other. Well, OK, I could have done it, but I ran out of patience. The sensors are mounted in a very fiddely manner, as I recall two screws holding them in place. But everything is sloppy. If you try to move one a little you will (rather I will) move it a lot, then I've lost the point from which I moved it.

But OK, I got the marks close enough to suit me.

The next problem I had was mounting the rotating assembly onto the advance mechanism ('77 R100/7). When I tightened the little screw too much the advance the hollow points cam distorted and bound up the advance. But OK, I finally got it tight enough without binding up the advance mechanism.

Then I ran the bike and looked forward to years of trouble free ignition. No more fiddling with the points. Yay! Was I treating my Beemer right or what!

Then a few months later, on the hottest day of the year (OK not the hottest) the damn bike quite me and didn't even tease me by trying to start. No spark. Luckily I was close enough to home for my riding friend to take her bike home, grab my Aerostar, put in the ramp and bike stand, and come back to my rescue.

A teardown revealed that the rotating assembly had loosened and come off the points cam. OK, I didn’t put it on right. There was no clue in the instructions what “right” was, so I rotated the rotating assembly relative to the advance mechanism and tightened things down harder. No binding. OK, NOW I could enjoy my modern ignition.

Luckily the last failure happened in my shop. The bike just wouldn’t start. Couldn’t be the Dyna, but it was. The electronics had expired (or went T.U. in the parlance).

That was it. I wasn’t going to give the Dyna another chance of stranding me.

Now I hum the “Points are Good” melody in my head as I ride.

Disclaimer: I’m well aware that the first two or three problems with the Dyna could be regarded as mechanical ineptitude, or a M.F.U. in the parlance. But dammit, I’m not that bad. There wasn’t a clue in the instructions as the “best” way to marry the rotating assembly to the advance mechanism. And the final problem was clearly not my fault.

P.S. I wasn’t going to post to this topic, but Richard T brought it up. And that was all the excuse I needed.

Ken
Location: Oz, lower right hand side, in a bit, just over the lumpy part.

Post by Airbear »

Ken in Oklahoma wrote: ...
P.S. I wasn’t going to post to this topic, but Richard T brought it up. And that was all the excuse I needed.

Ken
Do I detect a certain catharsis, Ken? I'm sure you are feeling better for it. You can close that chapter of your life now. Well done. Anything else bugging you?
Charlie
and Brunhilde - 1974 R90/6

Graduate, Wallace and Gromit School of Engineering and Design (Pending)
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

He JUST revisited the leaky fuel line debacle too.

It's been a painful stroll down Memory Lane for Ken this past week.
MS - out
Ken in Oklahoma

Airbear wrote:Do I detect a certain catharsis, Ken? I'm sure you are feeling better for it. You can close that chapter of your life now. Well done. Anything else bugging you?

You are very perceptive Airbear. Upon reflecting it would appear that I was indeed being bugged by a mere inanimate object. I was letting an unimportant thing disturb my equilibrium. Thank you for snapping me out of it. I'll be facing this new day with a song in my heart.

Things are just that, things. It's people that are important. the Dyna did just what it would do, what it could do. It was the product of people, intelligent people, who designed, manufactured, and marketed the product. It's those dirty rotten no-good bastards that I'd really like to get my hands on. It would give me great satisfaction to choke them, one by one, until their eyes bug out and their faces turn blue!

I feel so much better now.

Ken, humming a happy tune in Oklahoma

Major Softie wrote:He JUST revisited the leaky fuel line debacle too.

It's been a painful stroll down Memory Lane for Ken this past week.

Wow! Like Airbear you have pointed out something of which I was entirely unaware. Now on my sixth cup of coffee I can see it all clearly.

I think I still have a piece of that same fuel line that vexed me. Do you have any idea how I can find out who manufactured it and where they might be located . . . ?

Ken

P.S. according to the weather reports I've been seeing it would appear that you must be typing from somewhere underneath about 10 feet of snow.

Post by Motorhead »

I've never had a Dyna fail
recently I bought a new one and installed on Red

I'd a stayed with points reading deeply into Duanes topic of the 20,000 mile points

regular lubeing and setting got me about 8,000 miles after sturgis I replaced them as the block and points contact were fully gone

Most with failues found them at 80,000 miles some ham fisted ones find the item fragal

I found the Boyer as fragal too!

Red kicks starts in 1 kick with it and also with the Mikunis runs very very well, when I tear my self from the Harley to ride him
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

Ken in Oklahoma wrote: Ken

P.S. according to the weather reports I've been seeing it would appear that you must be typing from somewhere underneath about 10 feet of snow.
Naw, a mere 3 feet, but then, it is still coming down.

On the upside, the college is closed today, which just turned my 5 days off in a row into 6. The downside is that I get to spend it blowing out my drive.
MS - out
Airbear
Location: Oz, lower right hand side, in a bit, just over the lumpy part.

Post by Airbear »

Ken in Oklahoma wrote: Things are just that, things. It's people that are important. the Dyna did just what it would do, what it could do. It was the product of people, intelligent people, who designed, manufactured, and marketed the product. It's those dirty rotten no-good bastards that I'd really like to get my hands on. It would give me great satisfaction to choke them, one by one, until their eyes bug out and their faces turn blue!

I feel so much better now.

Ken, humming a happy tune in Oklahoma
Excellent venting there, Ken. It can be injurious to one's health to maintain rage beyond a decade or two. Perhaps Boxerworks could have a new sub-forum - The Psychiatrist is In - or something similar, offering help in such situations.

Charlie
and Brunhilde - 1974 R90/6

Graduate, Wallace and Gromit School of Engineering and Design (Pending)
Sibbo

Post by Sibbo »

:lol: :lol:
"You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know"
The Grateful Dead
Ken in Oklahoma

Airbear wrote:Excellent venting there, Ken. It can be injurious to one's health to maintain rage beyond a decade or two. Perhaps Boxerworks could have a new sub-forum - The Psychiatrist is In - or something similar, offering help in such situations.

An excellent idea there, Airbear, a forum dedicated to those members with mental problems. Their names are popping into my head like, well, like popcorn. And having been there myself I know what it's like in that red angry world. I would be in a unique position to help others now, as you have helped me, to gain perspective and control over their emotions. And very importantly I can also also show those less fortunates the most effective stranglehold to use.

Ken, free at last in Oklahoma