Getting My '83 R100RT Up On Center Stand Difficult

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
barryh

Re: Getting My '83 R100RT Up On Center Stand Difficult

Post by barryh »

ME 109 wrote:
The main reason the stands wear out is the pathetic design of the top of the stand. It's just the tube squashed together which gives quite a thin section, and small surface area.
There's also the alignment of the stand top and frame lug to consider. The stand tops can be too wide as set by the bushes, making for even less contact with the frame lug.
The welding of my stand in the pic increases the width of the stand top, which matches the frame lug width.
That is exactly what I found in every respect. No question that a well repaired stand will be much better than new and last a lot longer. I thickened up the tips with weld on both sides to increase the area of contact.
Attachments
Stand.JPG
Stand.JPG (123.88 KiB) Viewed 2751 times
barry
Cheshire
England
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

picturethis wrote:that was a nice clean weld job you did in the photos.
Thanks!

Barry's stand looks to be an upgraded 82>? going by the position of the spring attachment. It should be 240mm pivot centre to bottom of foot. The 10mm shortening of this stand compared to the 250mm 81 stand was BMW's answer to make the stand easier to use.

When attempting a weld repair, the first thing to assess is where the stand needs to be, compared to where it is.
I put a jack under the bike and lifted it until the c/stand looked to be where I wanted it. I could measure the degree I spose.
Then I looked at the gap between the stand and the frame lug to see where weld was needed. In my pic you'll see the weld is offset. I didn't weld where there was no contact.

The frame lug contact area needs to be in ok condition to start....as well as the bushes, and holes for the bushes.

The frame lug is an immovable object, so the weld repair to the stand has to closely match the frame lug shape, on both sides.
The weld repair should be angled as in my pic, to fully contact the angled contact area on the frame lug.

I put my bike up on two 3" thick timbers, and one for the side stand. This allowed the centre stand to swing freely under the bike without touching the ground making trial fitting easy, and allowed me to fine tune the weld shape so full contact occurred on both sides, at the same time.

Being able to ride off the c/stand when heavily loaded is effen excellent.
So is fixing and extending the oe side stand, making it possible to confidently pull up on the same heavily loaded bike and just use the side stand. Just like normal motorcyclists. :idea:
Lord of the Bings
hal

Post by hal »

I must admit I have my sidestand-habits from old days riding japanese motorbikes. We used to remove the centrestands 'cause they where the first thing to touch ground, riding hard in corners.. So my '90 was my first bike with a centrestand.

Riding a bit different these days, I enjoy the centrestand on the 850 for garageparking. Guess the one on the '90 is too worn. I also had some problems with the springs earlier which made me stop using it.

cheers
Hal

'74 R90/6
'97 R850R
moore84rs

Post by moore84rs »

I agree with the method of having your right toe on, or backing up the left side foot of the center stand.
If you can get your calf in front of the foot peg, knee slightly bent, and straighten your leg out while pulling
up on the grab handle; your leg adds a pit of force to roll the bike up and back onto the stand.

I like the info. on welding up the top tips a bit. I will do that next time it is off the bike. I have a Reynolds
ride off stand and use had flattened the bottoms of the legs. I added a bit of material to them build
up; by tig welding. I used stainless steel filler rod; to limit rust a bit since you know the paint there
won't survive.
Chuey

Post by Chuey »

I have no trouble with the center stands nowadays. The information given by SteveD as to how to use the stands is golden.

The side stands on my eighties bikes are abysmal. I have to lean the bike far to the right to get the stands to pass vertical and work. On no other bike brand that I have ridden, has this been the case! I'm pretty sure that it is the actual design and not wear that causes this anomaly. For goodness sake! I had a Moto Guzzi that had a wonderful side stand! How hard can it be to design a good side stand?!?

As for the eighties bikes and side stands, I have the Brown stand on my traveling R100RS. It is easy and logical to deploy.

Keep in mind, when reading ME109's posts that he is something like 6'4" and that makes a huge difference in manhandling the bike. His info on repairs is great, but just because a technique works great for him does not mean it will work well for a 5'8" guy who has been sitting in one position going through the desert heat of Las Vegas and vicinity for a couple hours between gas stops. (My rationale for the Brown stand.)

Chuey
picturethis

Post by picturethis »

Just got my new to me 1995 R100RT delivered from California. Center stand operation is really easy.
richard t

Post by richard t »

picturethis wrote:All,

It takes a lot of effort getting my 83 R100RT up on it's center stand. All of my strength to get it to raise up to the point it sits back on the center stand.

Anyone else have this issue? Assume it has something to do with mechanism being worn? Any pointers to remedy??

Thx in advance!
make sure the center stand is greased/lubed
picturethis

Post by picturethis »

well i sold my '83 R100RT so the center stand issue is on to the next owner - my new to me 1995 R100RT center stand works so easily - pressure from your foot and a simple slight lift gets it on the center stand with ease.

improvements to the final 1995 model year make cruising a pleasure - hardly any vibration in the fairing, smoother shifting, smoother idle and the monoshock suspension truly appreciated in the corners!!