seat foam and recovering

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
painter

seat foam and recovering

Post by painter »

/5 swb seat. The cover is usable but the foam is not. Any advice on where to buy seat foam? Also, any advice on the seat recovering process? I'll probably need new tacks/nails for attaching the cover, too.

Thanks for your help.

painter
George Ryals

Re: seat foam and recovering

Post by George Ryals »

Send it to Sargent Cycle Products in Jacksonville, FL. They did a beautiful job on my R90S. I sent a NOS cover with the seat. Don't remember what it cost. I think they will also sell foam to do it yourselfers.

http://www.sargentcycle.com/
Smile it's contagious!
'74 R90S, '67 /2 Conv w/sc, '66 R50/2
'74 Harley FXE, '72 Harley FLH w/HD sc
'69 BSA 441 Victor Special, '74 R90/6 Basket case
'85 R80RT wreck for parts
lrz

Post by lrz »

I'll be doing the same with a g/s seat this winter; found the foam at a local furniture/upholstery supply house. I was surprised they were willing to sell a small amount but the fellow I spoke w/ even mentioned I may want to" blend" a couple materials for a custom approach.
She'llbe

Post by She'llbe »

I found this site informative as I'm going to attempt to pad and cover an airtech seat pan. www.diymotorcycleseat.com
From the desk of the
Mt. Nardi Yacht Club
PO BOX 95
Nimbin, NSW
Australia 2480
02-6689-1234
vespajg

Post by vespajg »

I recovered my /5 SWB in October, but used the original foam. I think Sargents has foam and a decent looking cover. Doing it yourself is not that difficult. I bought my cover from NW motorcycle covers or something like that - you can get them on ebay. I did need to buy new hardware for attaching the trim - got it through Hucky's and it made the job a lot easier. I'm actually shocked at how well it turned out and man is it comfortable. Turns out the hard as rock seat wasn't due to bad or compressed foam - rather it was because the original seat cover was hard and stiff, preventing the foam from doing its job. The new, soft vinyl made all the difference...
Roy Gavin

Post by Roy Gavin »

North West Classic Seat covers or Thecomboguy is the guy, and his covers are # 1 for quality and fit.
Adelaide, Oz. 77 R75/7. 86 R80 G/S PD, 93 R100 GS, 70 BSA B44 VS ,BMW F650 Classic
painter

Post by painter »

Sargent's sells replacement foam for the /5 but the sales rep wasn't sure which foam for the seat pan. Its a '71 60/5 (SWB) and the vinyl is ribbed, not smooth. Sargents sells foam for the 69 - 71 years and for the 72 - 73 SWB model years. As far as I know the seat pan is original.

Help?

Thanks.