Painting an RS

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
moosehead

Re: Painting an RS

Post by moosehead »

Little late with my comments but your decision to take apart to repair dash is a good one....and easier to sand, repair and finish when apart...

My dash was also mashed up by PO so when I repainted the RS body work just took it all apart...I was prepping, sanding and reapiring all the body fairing parts for the painter and was easier to work on them in chunks....

Old dash....

New repaired dash...I added oil temp guage and oil pressure guage...just something else to worry about..ha ha

I replaced all old windscreen rivet assemblies with new nylock plugs and screws like those used used in the auto upolsty...hard to see in pic but they are an expandable plug insert with recessed face into which a metal thread screw goes into to secure fittings..they were all black and are a breeze to put in and remove...got them at NAPA...about $8 CDN for 14

Please note...I'm with ME109...star heads..or should I line them all up correctly??...have a good one
Retired from work....not life!
Chuey

Post by Chuey »

Another thing is that the dash is still available from BMW separate from the rest of the fairing. That's really nice if you need one.

Chuey
Scoots

Post by Scoots »

moosehead wrote: My dash was also mashed up by PO so when I repainted the RS body work just took it all apart...I was prepping, sanding and reapiring all the body fairing parts for the painter and was easier to work on them in chunks....

New repaired dash...I added oil temp guage and oil pressure guage...just something else to worry about..ha ha
moosehead - Nice job on the fairing and dash. What do the 2 rocker switches on the dash operate?
Image '89 R100RS Pearl White
moosehead

Post by moosehead »

Left switch for driving lites (mounted on crash bars)

Right switch - for rocket boost power - when available...not really just blank for now don't know what to use it for.

Switch by the LH grip is for heated grips (3 way Hi-Off-Low)
moosehead

Post by moosehead »

Left switch for driving lites (mounted on crash bars)

Right switch - for rocket boost power - when available...not really just blank for now don't know what to use it for.

Switch by the LH grip is for heated grips (3 way Hi-Off-Low)