Main bearing replacement issues

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
R90Steve

Re: Main bearing replacement issues

Post by R90Steve »

robtg wrote:
R90Steve wrote:
robtg wrote:

1/4 bsp x 19 threads come in tapered and parallel. I was given 2 petcocks from a Matchless Mattisse for an aluminum
fuel tank i built and my thread gages didn't have 19 tpi. Had to do some research on that.
FWIW, I just looked in my Aeroquip- How To Identify Fluid Ports And Connectors booklet and the PP fitting is frequently referred to as a G fitting and the SP a R fitting. So a 1/4 or 3/8-19 BPP can be referred to as a 1/4 or 3/8G and a SP as a 1/4 or 3/8-19R. Like I said, FWIW.
Oh and they were kind enough to include a 19TPI gauge with the Aeroquip gauges.
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

hools100RS wrote: With the top of this device just beneath the surface of the bearing carrier, I should be able to restake and secure it.
I'd leave at least 2mm from top of pin to surface of the bearing carrier........enough to allow for sufficient peening.
I guess it's not really peening, more like raising a burr.
Lord of the Bings
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

robtg wrote:
Major Softie wrote:
ME 109 wrote:You guys are nuts.
Not me! As far as I know, there are no pipe thread nuts. :mrgreen:
BSPP ---- British standard parallel pipe threads used on petcocks and bulkhead fittings use nuts. :mrgreen:
Freakin' Brits! I shoulda known better than to think they wouldn't have done something like that. :roll:
MS - out
dougie

Post by dougie »

Major Softie wrote:Freakin' Brits! I shoulda known better than to think they wouldn't have done something like that. :roll:
You made me remember what a mechanic friend in the 60's said about British sportscars -
"Made in England, the hard way."
I've spent most of my money on women, motorcycles, and beer.
The rest of it I just wasted.