San Jose fork brace: what the heck do I have?

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Sunbeem

Re: San Jose fork brace: what the heck do I have?

Post by Sunbeem »

The more rigid a brace is, the harder it is to fit exactly, without distorting the fork legs.
The one you've got Tim, looks like it would be relatively easy to fit.
And correspondingly easy to twist.

For my B33, I made a stainless U shape to the exact radius, and made sure the holes were in the right place.
Since everything can be measured, it isn't hard to get it right, and bolting it on will soon show the accuracy of the work.

Sunbeem.
One day more -- one day less.
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

This one? on 1984 R100ImageInstalled with ease.
Any and all disclaimers may apply
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

That looks like it, but is the bar that connects the front to back a flat piece?
the quinner

Post by the quinner »

Tim Shepherd wrote:I picked up this San Jose fork brace in a used BMW parts lot on Ebay. It doesn't fit my /6 forks, so what do I have? Did San Jose BMW make fork braces for other bikes? Image
Tim,

That is for the 1981-84 twin shock bikes (36mm fork legs with Brembo fixed calipers). It will fit the 1981-86 R80G/S, but might interfere with the 21" tire on those bikes
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

The chances of finding a fork brace that fitted perfectly without tweaking or shimming would be 100-1 at best.
'Perfect' has many perceptions.
Lord of the Bings
Deleted User 62

the quinner wrote:
Tim Shepherd wrote:I picked up this San Jose fork brace in a used BMW parts lot on Ebay. It doesn't fit my /6 forks, so what do I have? Did San Jose BMW make fork braces for other bikes? Image
Tim,

That is for the 1981-84 twin shock bikes (36mm fork legs with Brembo fixed calipers). It will fit the 1981-86 R80G/S, but might interfere with the 21" tire on those bikes
Cool, thanks Quinner and y'all! So, it's going on the IBMWR classifieds for $125 including shipping in the USA, anyone interested? PM me.
Last edited by Deleted User 62 on Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roy Gavin

Post by Roy Gavin »

These 36 mm G/S forks have no bushes in the sliders so most will be reasonably worn by now.

So getting a brace that doesn't add to the stiction gets a lot easier.

IMHO if the brace slips straight in without adding any stiction, and braces the forks so that the fork action improves when you are riding the bike it doesn't need to do much else, but I appreciate that others may have different requirements for a fork brace.
Adelaide, Oz. 77 R75/7. 86 R80 G/S PD, 93 R100 GS, 70 BSA B44 VS ,BMW F650 Classic
Deleted User 62

SOLD!