Drive Ratios for the RS.

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Jean

Re: Drive Ratios for the RS.

Post by Jean »

Based on what my 2.91 FD vs what the tach and speedo read, if the gears have been changed, he's got something WAY-OUT.
BUT, he says the engine is NOT lugging, so it's got to be the tach reading wrong.
We have some little black wasps that build mud nests in tiny spaces...ants are also bad to find housing-space where they ought not.
Clemson, SC
R100s, R75/5
Sunbeem

Post by Sunbeem »

It's a '78 Jean, taking its orders from the coil according to my diagram.
The earthing points are due for a clean, so I intend to have a look around under the tank.
If the wire is doing its job, I'll crack open the tach and check for beasties and signs of friction.

Somewhere, I have an ancient rpm counter from the old cotton mills, which works off the end of any shaft , with a stopwatch ...
If I get desperate.

No swings here Chas, is that a good sign, in a roundabout sort of a way?

Sunbeem.
One day more -- one day less.
Deleted User 72

Post by Deleted User 72 »

Sunbeem wrote: If the wire is doing its job, I'll crack open the tach and check for beasties and signs of friction.
Sunbeem.
Danger!!! Beyond here be dragons.

Delicate jewelerylike thingies in there, 'beem. No place for a black smith.
Sunbeem

I've always relied on the kindness of strangers ...

Post by Sunbeem »

So thoughtful ...
I'll use my smallest hammer Native/5, and I'll hold it in both hands to avoid hitting my thumb.

Sunbeem.
ME 109

Re: I've always relied on the kindness of strangers ...

Post by ME 109 »

Sunbeem wrote:So thoughtful ...
I'll use my smallest hammer Native/5, and I'll hold it in both hands to avoid hitting my thumb.

Sunbeem.
I once tried that two hand technique Sunbeem and hit myself in the forehead.
Lord of the Bings
Jean

Post by Jean »

Precision hammer required!
Do you know anyone OLD who just might have an (UK use of "A") historic dwell-tach?
I have one, but I'm a LONG way from you.
4-cyl ought to be the number to use.
Clemson, SC
R100s, R75/5
Sunbeem

Post by Sunbeem »

A dwell-tach ... I'll ask around Jean -- I know a friendly garage or two, hadn't thought of that.

I'm 62 tomorrow, and I'd like someone to tell me that's not old.
Even more, I'd like to believe them.

Sunbeem.

PS. Most of us would say "a historic," you're right. When we want to impart a bit of gravitas to an important occasion, the "an" starts creeping out of the crepuscular.
It's a leftover from the time we assumed a few French words, like hotel, which in French has a silent H. "An 'otel" was considered correct, and indeed, as the hoi polloi never frequented hotels, "an" hotel was thought to be rather posh.
It becomes less convincing with helicopter, hoodlum and hash-pipe, and is now the mark of an aspiring English snob, and the pedants eternal delight.
Jean

Re: Dwell-tach for checking airheads

Post by Jean »

So glad you appreciated my use of the "snob article".
I've recently edited, and typed a doctoral dissertation for a friend who received her PhD from the U. of Aberdeen. One of her reviewers noted it was "...in American english" with the implication that it should have been in "PROPER" ENGLISH, so I told WORD to get with the UK program...Took me 3 days to FIX everything. We had a jolly laugh about that, especially when the adviser said "You didn't HAVE to do that...it was only a casual comment."
I'm 66.
I still have a couple of autos that benefit from using a dwell-tach for tune-ups. I think you can find them at flea markets and yard/garage sales too. I think they call them "Trunk" sales in your neck of the woods. Which is sort of confusing since they take place from the boot...
Clemson, SC
R100s, R75/5
Airbear
Location: Oz, lower right hand side, in a bit, just over the lumpy part.

Post by Airbear »

I do love the drifting that goes on in these threads.
I happened to ask my history lecturer about the 'a historian' or 'an historian' thing recently. She said the fashion has fluctuated back and forth during her career, and could not advise on the current situation. So, I will continue to alternate, consistently, between the two.
Speaking of history (and since I was brought up to respect my elders) I'll say that 62 and 66 are ages that fall definitely under the description of 'prime'. Not that they are prime numbers of course - I don't wish to bring the mathematicians back out of their caves. You are both in your prime, is what I mean. Do keep up the good work, and Happy Birthday for tomorrow, Sunbeem.

Charlie, 61 and counting.
Charlie
and Brunhilde - 1974 R90/6

Graduate, Wallace and Gromit School of Engineering and Design (Pending)
Deleted User 287

Post by Deleted User 287 »

Tomorrow is here today, Sunbeem. Happy Birthday! My daughter turned 24 yesterday.
Too bad we are not neighbors - I would gladly loan you my nasty-dirty old meter that most likely hasn't been hooked up to anything in 35 years.
I save most anything; and as this photo shows, I can sometimes lay my hands on them quickly!
(Not very often, though...)

I would happily ship it to you! As long as you promised not to return it.

~ 55 and feeling old in Indiana