Remember my "Interesting Bike" thread?

This is for the discussion of Motorcycling. The art, the science, the theory of all things related to our favorite sport... riding motorcycles.
dougie

Remember my "Interesting Bike" thread?

Post by dougie »

Well there is a bit more to it.
My R100 is the biggest heaviest bike I have ever had. Always had bikes well under 400 lbs and this Beemer is about 450 - 475 lbs. Weighing in at 155 lbs and now 66 years old I feel it becoming an issue, and will become more so.
With that in mind, I came up with some possibilities -
I love the look of some Brit-bikes but I know they will just drive me nuts.
A new Honda CBR250R could be a lot of fun (gas 'n' go).
I could probably get attached to a 1960's Honda CB77 Superhawk (305cc twin) and that would be "hands on" fun.
However, although I had ruled out an additional BMW, now I am thinking about the possibility of an R65 instead of my R100 :idea: . I am already familiar with much of it, have some spares and it is 50-60 lbs lighter.
Whaddya think :?:
I've spent most of my money on women, motorcycles, and beer.
The rest of it I just wasted.
Major Softie

Re: Remember my "Interesting Bike" thread?

Post by Major Softie »

The Superhawk has a claimed dry weight of 350 lbs, which means it has to be well over 400 wet - quite possibly over 425, so I don't think that's the way to go if "lighter" is a really important component for you.

The little Honda shows up at 359 ready to ride, rather than claimed dry weight. That's pretty light. Can you (your wrists and hands) still handle the more forward seating position? I haven't been able to since I was about 35, but I'm not sure just how forward the Honda's position is. Either it or the 250 Kawi would be fun and light, but I don't know if you'd really be satisfied with their little motors after being used to a liter.

The R65 is a nice bike, but I'd put it with the Superhawk as not really all that light. Lighter than your current bike, but not light.

Have you thought about Ducati's littlest Monster???? Pretty damn light. 80 Hp. Low seat, low CG, and very narrow, all of which make the weight of any motorcycle much easier to handle. A lot more money, but a lot more performance. Used ones are much more affordable, but not quite as light and powerful as the 696. 695 is really close though, but they only made it for one year, so used ones are fairly rare. 620's are very available and quite reasonable.
MS - out
Deleted User 287

Post by Deleted User 287 »

I've never owned a Type 247, except for my /2 sidecar conversion (hardly counts), so I can't say.
But I will offer up that if you plan on riding long distance (like to Ken's), the R100 would be the superior bike. (More power for fighting headwinds and the like.)
I've come to finally admit that the R65 just doesn't have what it takes to burn up miles on the interstate. But they are great fun on secondary roads!
My R65 rider's handbook lists the dry weight of a R65 at 452 lbs! (I knew it was heavy.)
Just get a Brown sidestand for the R100 and shut off your petcocks as you are arriving at your destination.

The Honda CBR250R looks like a great bike. It is often compared to Kawasaki's 250 Ninja.
The Honda is a single cylinder with better low-end torque, and the Kawasaki is a twin with more high-range muscle, but needs revs to make it work.

I had a "dream" (ha ha) of building a CB200 cafe bike, but it never happened and I ended up selling off the bike and all of the parts I had collected.

I liked the CB200 because of the atypical gas tank...

I took that picture at Mid-Ohio's Vintage Days in 2007.
Sibbo

Post by Sibbo »

Seconding MS here regarding http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/ducati ... 007.phpthe Monster .I think you and I are of similar age and build Dougie and the Monster fits me very nicely ! I borrowed a mate's recently and had a ball, 370 pound but because it's so low it feels less . I fit the racer position just fine ,even at 62 but the only real disadvantage with a Monster is you feel as if you should be going very quickly all the time .It's not a cruiser or a 'normal' bike for me ,just out and out sports but tractable,brilliant brakes and with most amazing V twin rumble at all revs . :D

If you want some fun and the occasional track day I recommend one .
"You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know"
The Grateful Dead
dougie

Post by dougie »

MS - point taken. I didn't realize the CB77 was that heavy. I do remember laughing at guys with their CB450 Hellcats that weighed so much when I had my '67 Triumph Daytona (336lbs).

Sibbo - point taken on the Ducati. I had a 1986 Pantah 600 for a few years. My worry about Ducati is initial cost and repair parts availability/cost.

And the R65 - yeah maybe a bit tubby.

That little CBR250 is looking pretty good.
(Should have kept my 1989 Honda 125GP bike and put lights on it. :lol:)
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

dougie wrote: Sibbo - point taken on the Ducati. I had a 1986 Pantah 600 for a few years. My worry about Ducati is initial cost and repair parts availability/cost.
Ducati parts are not cheap, but I did not find them to be any more than BMW - in fact, I think they're a little cheaper. As far as availability, Ducati is much better than they used to be, especially for the Monsters, which sold very well and have a lot of aftermarket support - WAY better than for a 60's Japanese bike, which you were considering. If you want ready parts availability, obviously nothing that's been mentioned is going to beat one of those new 250's
MS - out
Deleted User 287

dougie wrote:Should have kept
Boy, I think we all have 1 or 6 of those in our lives. :roll:
Duane Ausherman

Post by Duane Ausherman »

Rob said, "I've come to finally admit that the R65 just doesn't have what it takes to burn up miles on the interstate. But they are great fun on secondary roads!"

My hat is off to you Rob. I have been telling people that since it came out. If one just looks at numbers, then I can't help you. The R69S is about as heavy and has less hp, but is far more of a serious road bike than the R65.

I have owned a few of the R65 and am just not impressed at all. It is a play bike, not a tourer.
Ask the Indians what happens when you don't control immigration.
Deleted User 287

Duane Ausherman wrote:The R69S is about as heavy and has less hp, but is far more of a serious road bike than the R65.
Because of frame geometry and the heavy flywheel?
Duane Ausherman wrote:I have owned a few of the R65 and am just not impressed at all.
I never knew you owned any R65s, Duane!

I am happy with mine, but then, I don't anticipate crossing any State lines with it anymore, either. And I live in a relatively small State.
It's a fine commuter, and great fun in Southern Indiana where the hills are.
dougie

Post by dougie »

Major Softie wrote:The Superhawk has a claimed dry weight of 350 lbs, which means it has to be well over 400 wet - quite possibly over 425, so I don't think that's the way to go if "lighter" is a really important component for you.

The little Honda shows up at 359 ready to ride, rather than claimed dry weight. That's pretty light. Can you (your wrists and hands) still handle the more forward seating position? I haven't been able to since I was about 35, but I'm not sure just how forward the Honda's position is. Either it or the 250 Kawi would be fun and light, but I don't know if you'd really be satisfied with their little motors after being used to a liter.
The specs that I found on the Superhawk said curb weight 351 lbs. :?:
Much as I like what Ducati has to offer, I think they carry a large risk of becoming a "money pit".
Parts availability would point to Honda, and for that matter, BMW. I have never had a problem getting anything for my R100. But the R65 is perhaps a little porky for the power it produces, and for me to push in and out of my workshop.