/5 mirror options

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
spo123

Re: /5 mirror options

Post by spo123 »

I currently run one napoleon, on the clutch side.....The unopened second mirror will wait another couple of years, as I mostly ride the empty roads at NIGHT.
Basically vibration free and I point them out and down a bit.
Just my take.
spo
erimille

Post by erimille »

I'm running with a set of Halcyon 830 mirrors and couldn't be happier. I've found them to be extremely well made, fold in nicely, fit perfectly in 22mm bars, and provide a huge improvement over my original (long) stalk mirrors.

The following pictures provide a quick snapshot of these in place.

Additional detail / pictures can be found here - http://potlach.org/2011/02/diehexe/halcyon/

hope this helps,

--e
vespajg

Post by vespajg »

I'm one of the ones for which the headlight mounted Alberts just don't work. But I do like the way they look.

I have euro bars and had them on for a year or so and finally accepted the fact that they don't work for me. In addition to the complete lack of rear view, I was not happy with the extra time it took me to look down to lock in a view. At least for me, it's not a simple glance like the stock/barend set up. I also got sick of the vibration compared with the stock set up or barends. You might argue that the vibration is the same or close, but it seemed to be more extreme in the headlight mounted mirrors - maybe it's just in a different or larger part of the vibration curve. Currently I'm running a stock long arm mirror and am happy.

Vech also makes an Albert barend albeit the touring version, which has a longer arm that the sport version pictured above. I would love to get my hands on a pair of the sport mirrors - it's expensive for the tooling so Vech only makes the touring version I am told. Unless we all ask nicely with our wallets open!
x1Buellist

Post by x1Buellist »

I got home today and these beautys were on my porch :D . At first there was the dilema mount them with the stem angled up or down but I think I have got it right.
Albert_Mirrors-800.jpg
Albert_Mirrors-800.jpg (192.63 KiB) Viewed 2586 times
DSC_0130a-800.jpg
DSC_0130a-800.jpg (155.24 KiB) Viewed 2585 times
73' R75/5 LWB
Unclviny

Post by Unclviny »

That's how Griselda wears hers. It probably took me 2 days to get them adjusted properly, I just put the wrench in my pocket and went riding.

Vince
http://www.vinceandersononline.com
1973-1/2 BMW R75/5 (LWB)
1971 Norton Commando
1952 Triumph TRW
1936 BMW R2
Duane Ausherman

Post by Duane Ausherman »

We test rode a lot of types of mirrors on the /5. I am here to tell you that the headlight mirror fails to work on any model. They all vibrate too much, by a huge amount. However, the Albert mirrors at the ends of the bars work very well. One can actually see past the body (for average sized riders) and your hands dampen out vibration very well.

That photo shows a Euro "type" of bar, but it doesn't have the correct curves for stock. I wouldn't be surprised if it is 7/8" bar.

You must decide if you wish to have something that actually works, or something that fails to work but is cool............ in your opinion.
Ask the Indians what happens when you don't control immigration.
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

Duane Ausherman wrote:We test rode a lot of types of mirrors on the /5. I am here to tell you that the headlight mirror fails to work on any model. They all vibrate too much, by a huge amount. However, the Albert mirrors at the ends of the bars work very well. One can actually see past the body (for average sized riders) and your hands dampen out vibration very well.

That photo shows a Euro "type" of bar, but it doesn't have the correct curves for stock. I wouldn't be surprised if it is 7/8" bar.

You must decide if you wish to have something that actually works, or something that fails to work but is cool............ in your opinion.
Thank (insert favorite deity here) Duane is back - to piss on our coolness.
MS - out
Deleted User 287

Post by Deleted User 287 »

Major Softie wrote:
Duane Ausherman wrote:We test rode a lot of types of mirrors on the /5. I am here to tell you that the headlight mirror fails to work on any model. They all vibrate too much, by a huge amount. However, the Albert mirrors at the ends of the bars work very well. One can actually see past the body (for average sized riders) and your hands dampen out vibration very well.

Thank (insert favorite deity here) Duane is back - to piss on our coolness.
One can't have vin'ger (vigor) without piss!
jagarra

Post by jagarra »

I have been looking at a couple of sets of bar end mirrors on e-bay, look pretty well made and not a wallet buster.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Motor ... 231a54b567

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIVERSAL-MOTOR ... 2368297079
1974 R90/6 built 9/73
1987 BMW K75S
1994 BMW R1100RS
1964 T100SR Triumph
1986 Honda XL600R
CVA-42

Post by CVA-42 »

Some people curse the headlight mirrors as being next to useless. I have them on two older bikes and find that they do a good job provided that they are set up correctly. The mirror heads themselves are limited in their range of movement, so you need to find the best combination of stalk position and mirror head position. There are two types on the market that I'm aware of: Albert and Bumm. Unless they've changed, the Alberts are stainless and the current Bumms are chromed. The Alberts cost somewhat more than the Bumms and their heads are somewhat larger.