My /5 rebuild intro.

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Duane Ausherman

Re: My /5 rebuild intro.

Post by Duane Ausherman »

Native /5 wrote:For a /5 bucket that is neat, indeed.
The original wiring of the /5 bucket from BMW was very nice and neat. Does anyone know Bob of Bob's BMW well? He has my old "new never started /5" and it would make a good example of what the wiring can look like.
Ask the Indians what happens when you don't control immigration.
x1Buellist

Post by x1Buellist »

I would love to see a nice high resolution picture of that. Once I have the blinker ground wires connected I will work on cleaning up the wiring some more before I button it up.
73' R75/5 LWB
tenni128

Post by tenni128 »

Man, that thing is looking really sharp. Keep up the good work!
x1Buellist

Post by x1Buellist »

tenni128 wrote:Man, that thing is looking really sharp. Keep up the good work!
Thanks, I'm trying.
I put the forks back together this week. Used the rub-N-Buff on the lower fork clamp, got a new BattlAx BT45 for the front to match the one I had put on the rear. I filled the forks with 280cc of 5w fork oil. Sorry, no pictures this week. The camera I was using is gone. I have ordered a new one.
The stiction appears to be gone. The fork sag is 3.5 inches. That seems like a lot to me. None of my other bikes drop that far when I sit on them (they are quite a bit newer though). Is this nomal or is it something I should be concerned with?

Thanks, Scot

Well I couldn't go without a picture so here's an old pic of the bike way back in the beginning.

73' R75/5 LWB
x1Buellist

Post by x1Buellist »

well, Im so close to firing her up for the first time. I bought some spectro engine oil and gear oil. I read a bunch of articles about oil filters, shims, gaskets, and O-rings. I ordered a bunch of the O-rings and a bunch of the paper gaskets. I ordered a shim. Now, I take the oil filter cover off just to make sure that I was happy with how SJBMW installed it way back when. I find my oil filter isn't anything like what they talk about in the articles! No, shim,no O-ring, It's not sealing against the cover plate. I have a bolt on end cover over the filter. So, it seems to me none of the scary stories of loss of oil pressure etc.. due to a filter not seated against the cover applies to me. I don't need a shim, I don't need a O-ring. Does that sound right? Looks like I ordered that stuff for nothing.
73' R75/5 LWB
Deleted User 72

Post by Deleted User 72 »

You are correct. The /5 doesn't use all that stuff. Pretty simple with a filter, cover, and gasket.
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

Native /5 wrote:You are correct. The /5 doesn't use all that stuff. Pretty simple with a filter, cover, and gasket.
The system that can destroy your engine in a matter of moments is the "improved" version. :roll:
MS - out
Motorhead

Post by Motorhead »

a good reason NOT to up date the engine case

the system we all enjoy on the /5 lasted until about 1976 just before the /7 release, the late 1975 can be built up to 1000cc while the /5 can be built to 900cc

I think the 900 the best of power and smoothness in a /5 the 900 motor is strong
x1Buellist

Post by x1Buellist »

Thanks. It's nice not having to worry about measuring I shimming etc..
73' R75/5 LWB
Flatwins

Post by Flatwins »

This thread is full of win! Beautiful /5!
Steve
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma, USA