My /5 rebuild intro.

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
x1Buellist

Re: My /5 rebuild intro.

Post by x1Buellist »

The bike hadn't been started since 1985. It cranked over for 2 seconds and started right up! WoooHooo. haha that makes me pretty happy.Only ran it for a minute or so. Now to put the signal lights back on,tune the carbs/timing a little more and register it foir the road. :D
73' R75/5 LWB
x1Buellist

Post by x1Buellist »

Well, I am almost done with the bike. I painted the tail light cover , cut down the rear blinker stems and installed the blinkers. I also cut the reflector tabs off the license plate bracket, painted and mounted the bracket.

I also installed the front blinkers.

I do have some bugs to work out. One, my blinkers aren't working. I don't hear the relay clicking either so I'll have to check that out. Also, I have a very small amount of fluid coming from the bottom of the left fork. I tightened the nut. Will have to wait and see if that stops the leak. I rode the bike around my neighborhood and when I got back to my garage there was some gas coming from the hole in the bottom of the float bowl on the left side. Subsequent rides didn't have any gas leaks so maybe that resolved itself.

Now I need to work on getting the carbs synced and fine tuned and also check the timing.

Here she is lined up with the rest of the stable.
73' R75/5 LWB
x1Buellist

Post by x1Buellist »

I didn't mention when I rode it around the neighborhood it was pretty boggy. I am reading up on the best way to sync and adjuct the carbs. Also if you read from the beginning you know the engine has been sitting since 1985. It took a while to get the clutch to disengage but I guess that is not abnormal.
73' R75/5 LWB
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

Regards the bogging, did you check the timing with a strobe? A sticking timing advance unit would cause bogging, the timing mark should move up to F at around 3000 rpm. The transmission input shaft needs to be lightly greased on occasion, too.
x1Buellist

Post by x1Buellist »

I havent checked the timing yet, it is just set at the initial spec from the engine build. I have dual plugs with the Dyna III electronic ignition. I have read that the timing is a little different with dual plugs. I just need to read up some more on that so I have a good idea what I am doing.
73' R75/5 LWB
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

If I am not mistaken, the Dyna magnet ring is attached to the advance unit, so same problem. It uses a special light grease, which most likely will have turned to tacky resin in the past 27 years. Remember, you have to have the timing spot on and the valves adjusted, before attempting to adjust the carbs.
x1Buellist

Post by x1Buellist »

OK, I will make sure to tackle the timing first than open the valve cover and see what the valves look like after a whooping 2 miles or so on the bike haha. Than look at syncing the carbs. Actually with any luck adjusting the timing will make it a little more rideable , than maybe I can put a few miles on before looking at the valve clearance.
73' R75/5 LWB
tenni128

Post by tenni128 »

Looks great, man...congrats on getting her back together!