Speaking of the Alpine Rally......

This is for the discussion of Motorcycling. The art, the science, the theory of all things related to our favorite sport... riding motorcycles.
Airbear
Location: Oz, lower right hand side, in a bit, just over the lumpy part.

Re: Speaking of the Alpine Rally......

Post by Airbear »

Mal, you'd be mad to miss it. At Brindabella 2010 we had 3 nights below -6 degrees, but I don't recall feeling cold. Plenty of firewood makes all the difference, along with warming activities and hot discussions.

The Knox Bros are always entertaining ...

And even the bikes get pissed and lounge around in front of fires ...

See you there.
Charlie
and Brunhilde - 1974 R90/6

Graduate, Wallace and Gromit School of Engineering and Design (Pending)
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

Not cold at all Mal...
With sufficient planning (and an RS) and a spare pair a woolen socks.
I bought mesself one of those new sleeping bags.......better than duck down, they're full of baby chickens.
Don't know how I'll get to sleep tho.

Lord of the Bings
Sibbo

Post by Sibbo »

Hmmm..... so how did all the bikes go starting that morning? Tilly is a warm weather girl, she sometimes objects when it's chill.
"You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know"
The Grateful Dead
Mal S7

Post by Mal S7 »

Gee thanks for the warm & encouraging pics fellas.
I look forward to writing my name in the frost.

cheers
Mal
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

Mal S7 wrote: I look forward to writing my name in the frost.
l
He's warming to the idea Charlie!

Oh, Mal, bring a chisel and hammer to write your name. :mrgreen:
Lord of the Bings
Airbear
Location: Oz, lower right hand side, in a bit, just over the lumpy part.

Post by Airbear »

Sibbo wrote:Hmmm..... so how did all the bikes go starting that morning? Tilly is a warm weather girl, she sometimes objects when it's chill.
G'day Peter
Tilly's enrichers might need some attention. Made a big difference to Brunhilde when I did the carby kit thing.
Here's a useful tip though - when Hans and I did our snow trip a couple of years ago we found that the lower the temp the slower the cranking speed and the harder both bikes were to start. We eventually tried dribbling some petrol along the join between airbox and motor. This supplied sufficient fuel vapour to give that first firing and the old girls would then start ok. We took to travelling with a little squirty bottle of juice to make those morning starts easier.
Charlie
and Brunhilde - 1974 R90/6

Graduate, Wallace and Gromit School of Engineering and Design (Pending)
Mal S7

Post by Mal S7 »

Airbear wrote: We eventually tried dribbling some petrol along the join between airbox and motor.
As I am sure you would know Charlie, on the Russian front the Germans would light fires under their Panzers of a morning to help with starting. Starter motors and batteries might be a bit better these days, ... but if you ever get real stuck, maybe a trangia under the sump?
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

Mal S7 wrote:
Airbear wrote: We eventually tried dribbling some petrol along the join between airbox and motor.
As I am sure you would know Charlie, on the Russian front the Germans would light fires under their Panzers of a morning to help with starting. Starter motors and batteries might be a bit better these days, ... but if you ever get real stuck, maybe a trangia under the sump?
Did exactly that at the Genoa rally probably 1986 iirc.
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
Sibbo

Post by Sibbo »

Airbear wrote:
Sibbo wrote:Hmmm..... so how did all the bikes go starting that morning? Tilly is a warm weather girl, she sometimes objects when it's chill.
G'day Peter
Tilly's enrichers might need some attention. Made a big difference to Brunhilde when I did the carby kit thing.
Here's a useful tip though - when Hans and I did our snow trip a couple of years ago we found that the lower the temp the slower the cranking speed and the harder both bikes were to start. We eventually tried dribbling some petrol along the join between airbox and motor. This supplied sufficient fuel vapour to give that first firing and the old girls would then start ok. We took to travelling with a little squirty bottle of juice to make those morning starts easier.
She's better than she was Charlie but still not ideal , I reckon a tin of "Start ya Bastard" might be essential kit for a snow run. :D
"You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know"
The Grateful Dead
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

Rug up lads...

Alpine areas to get winter preview

Thursday May 24, 2012 - 12:13 EST There are early signs that the New South Wales Snowy Mountains ski season is just around the corner.

The Weather Bureau says a cold front is moving through the region prompting a severe weather warning for damaging winds in the Snowy Mountains with gusts of up to one hundred and 25 kilometres and hour.

There is also a sheep graziers warning for the Monaro.

Forecaster Sean Carson says the alpine villages look set to benefit.

The good news is for the Snowy Mountains is it will turn to snow in the early hours of tomorrow, he said.

In fact you probably should see 10cm of snow falling from about midnight tonight, he said,

It may go through to early Sunday morning with a potential of up to 20cm.

There is some very cold and windy wintery weather once this rain bank moves through in the early hours of tomorrow morning.
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.