Peanut valve cover

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Bob Distelcamp

Peanut valve cover

Post by Bob Distelcamp »

The other day I saw a super clean R75/5 in Albany,NY. The thing that caught my eye was that
it had a filler cap on the top of the left valve cover. I waited for 1/2 hour hoping to ask the owner
about the valve cover. he never came back. This was a /5 with the peanut valve cover. Does anyone
have information on it.
Thanks Bob D
Mal S7

Re: Peanut valve cover

Post by Mal S7 »

You mean this Bob? Image

Try here http://www.motoren-israel.com/product_i ... -1pc-.html

cheers

Mal
tagordon

Post by tagordon »

Motorcycles Cost Less Than Psychiatrists
tagordon

Post by tagordon »

me 2 slow
Motorcycles Cost Less Than Psychiatrists
Kurt in S.A.

Post by Kurt in S.A. »

Someone probably knows this but this is a borrowed concept from way back...it might be something like the R66 or maybe one of the Rennsports. In those situations, I think there was a real need to get oil into the top end as there was no other way. In the /5 situation, oil can drain back through the rocker tubes. I wonder why such a thing is being offered other than to be different. Or is it just laziness...can't reach in and remove the regular dipstick/fill hole.

Kurt in S.A.
melville

Post by melville »

Kurt in S.A. wrote:Someone probably knows this but this is a borrowed concept from way back...it might be something like the R66 or maybe one of the Rennsports. In those situations, I think there was a real need to get oil into the top end as there was no other way. In the /5 situation, oil can drain back through the rocker tubes. I wonder why such a thing is being offered other than to be different. Or is it just laziness...can't reach in and remove the regular dipstick/fill hole.

Kurt in S.A.
Maybe with a 10 gallon Heinrich things get a bit tight around the filler......
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world.
Kurt in S.A.

Post by Kurt in S.A. »

melville wrote:Maybe with a 10 gallon Heinrich things get a bit tight around the filler......
Good point! :!:

Kurt in S.A.
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

It's certainly a lot easier to fill it there at the head, especially with lots of fairing pieces.. That's where the filler is on Oilheads.
MS - out
Duane Ausherman

Post by Duane Ausherman »

Without the dipstick how would one know just how much to fill? I think it is a "cool factor" from the prewar models.
Ask the Indians what happens when you don't control immigration.
Darryl Flynn

Post by Darryl Flynn »

Duane Ausherman wrote:Without the dipstick how would one know just how much to fill? I think it is a "cool factor" from the prewar models.

Same as on the Oil Heads Duane. Keep the dipstick but only use it as that not for filling.

Darryl
My other bike is a Guzzi