Anyone want a VW powered BMW?

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Major Softie

Re: Anyone want a VW powered BMW?

Post by Major Softie »

Tim Shepherd wrote: I've seen videos of motorcycle engine powered VWs on Youtube, and it certainly feasible to do with a BMW engine. Think about it; stock VWs put out 36-56 hp and that's covered by the R50/5-R80/7. The big flywheel would be a plus.
The "big" flywheel is a flyweight by automotive standards.

The 24 hp 1100 of 1950 had 50 ft lbs of torque, almost 20% more than the R80 - which had 42. Their 44 hp 1500 was making 78 ft. lbs. of torque. That's more than 10% more torque than my Oilhead made almost 30 years later. It also peaked at 3800 rpm. Do not confuse automotive tuning with motorcycle tuning. When you have to move a ton of car, and possibly as much as 800 lbs. of passengers, it's not just about hp. Torque is king.

Our beloved "torquey" boxer motor would feel peaky and weak trying to move a beetle. It's not just the peak power, but moving over a ton needs a lot flatter power curve than a bike does. An 1800 6 cyl. Wing motor? That would probably work okay.
MS - out
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

I agree Major, I wasn't implying it would be quick, just doable. Speaking of power bands, my Bus red lines at 4200 rpm, generator fan howling, where the BMW would just be trundling along. Reminds me, didn't some one post here awhile back about running a VW Bug on only two cylinders? The motorcycle powered VWs I've seen are 1000cc+, stripped out, fiberglass fender, etc full street rods, not people haulers. Here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28irHkRcxrM I have also seen photos of a gold wing powered VW, but it was a chopped down three wheeler, reminiscent of the Messerschmitt mini cars..
Motu

Post by Motu »

This is the only bad photo I have of this bad bike, a 1200 VW powered Ural with a Jupiter sidecar. 40hp, and the Ural made 36hp I think. A shitload more grunt - I used to powerslide this thing left and right in top gear, 2nd gear pivot turns, just roll on the throttle and spin it up, hardly used 1st gear. But it revved lower than the Ural, I was ringing it's neck at 50mph.

A lot of fun, I should've kept it, but swapped it for a CB750, and swapped that for a Hillman Hunter.

Jean

Post by Jean »

There was a really nice one at the Huntsville Rally in the early 90's...It was white.
I think it was for sale. BIG bucks tho.
A fellow named Allgood over in Georgia had one too, but it was really a RAT-Bike from the git-go. On the other hand, he DID ride it everywhere.
Clemson, SC
R100s, R75/5
Chuey

Post by Chuey »

Man, those guys are crazy! I may just be paranoid because I've been hit from behind on my bike but that looks like a very bad idea.

There is a "R-1" engine VW on Youtube.

Chuey
George Ryals

Post by George Ryals »

I hope the VW brakes are in good working condition!
Smile it's contagious!
'74 R90S, '67 /2 Conv w/sc, '66 R50/2
'74 Harley FXE, '72 Harley FLH w/HD sc
'69 BSA 441 Victor Special, '74 R90/6 Basket case
'85 R80RT wreck for parts