5 speed ribbed tranny rebuild

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
ME 109

Re: 5 speed ribbed tranny rebuild

Post by ME 109 »

Thanks George, but my wrench is only 3/8 drive. I think it would break?
Lord of the Bings
hzbloke

Post by hzbloke »

G'day Jeff,

I've got a 260nm Warren & Brown (fine Aussie tools) torque wrench if you want it. You'll have to come to sunny Beechworth to get though - both me and the bike are still out of action.

Cheers
Ray
1986 BMW R65
2008 Moto Guzzi Breva 750
2019 Kawasaki Z900rs
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

hzbloke wrote:G'day Jeff,

I've got a 260nm Warren & Brown (fine Aussie tools) torque wrench if you want it. You'll have to come to sunny Beechworth to get though - both me and the bike are still out of action.

Cheers
Ray
Thank you Ray, that's another generous offer from you.
I may be able to take the easy way out and go to the engine re-conditioner who has done work for me before. I don't think he'd mind.
I took the output flange off again because I cleaned it, and the tapered shaft with degreaser. Should be brake cleaner or electrical contact cleaner, and then perfectly dry.
Plus it was only done up to ~110nM which was max on my wrench.

Hope you're mending well.
Lord of the Bings
hzbloke

Post by hzbloke »

If you go to your engine friend it's almost worth asking him to let you pull on the torque wrench to see what 220 nm feels like. It's a lot. I'm not a little fella but I had trouble getting the torque wrench to click. I had an extension on the bar on the flange wedged against a purlin on the shed and then had to really lay back on the torque wrench. I had to brace myself against the bench to stop my boots sliding on the concrete floor. All part of the fun.

Thanks... I'm healing well. My advice is that if you ever shatter a collar bone get them to screw the plate on quickly. The few days I spent with the broken bits of bone grating together were not fun.

Sorry I called you Charlie the other day by the way. No offence meant to you or Charlie.

Cheers
Ray
1986 BMW R65
2008 Moto Guzzi Breva 750
2019 Kawasaki Z900rs
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

hzbloke wrote:
Sorry I called you Charlie the other day by the way. No offence meant to you or Charlie.

Cheers
Ray
Ray, that's quite OK. I don't even remember. :mrgreen:
Lord of the Bings
Airbear
Location: Oz, lower right hand side, in a bit, just over the lumpy part.

Post by Airbear »

hzbloke wrote: Thanks... I'm healing well. My advice is that if you ever shatter a collar bone get them to screw the plate on quickly. The few days I spent with the broken bits of bone grating together were not fun.

Cheers
Ray
Oooo, it hurt just to read that. I'll bet there's an interesting story to go with it, which I'll look forward to hearing about when you are more comfortable. Good luck with the recuperation, Ray.

And no offence taken here. I'll guess it's the codeine taking its toll.
And of course, Jeff and I often get confused.
Charlie
and Brunhilde - 1974 R90/6

Graduate, Wallace and Gromit School of Engineering and Design (Pending)
Garnet

Post by Garnet »

Airbear wrote: And of course, Jeff and I often get confused.
It's a good thing one of you has a beard or we'd never know to whom we where speaking.
Garnet

georgesgiralt

Post by georgesgiralt »

Hello Me109 sorry to being so late in answering you.
The size of the drive on the torque wrench does not matter in any way.
If you put an extra arm at the end of the torque wrench it is to reach the 240 Nm at the end of the arm when you only apply, say 150 Nm at the other end (if 150 is the maximal setting on the torque wrench). So this wrench won't give anything above it's rating ! Hence the size of the drive is good (as per the manufacturer calculate it).
You should, on the other hand, select the sturdiness of the extension arm carefully as this will fully take the 240 Nm of torque...
Of course, if you try to unscrew the offending bolt with the small torque wrench without an extension arm, you will ruin the wrench and the square drive... But precision tools are not to be abused this way.
I hope my explanations are clear.

P.S. Auto mechanics doing front wheel drive auto repair should have a torque wrench apt to reach the 240 Nm range as the nut securing the Cardan ball join on the wheel side is often torqued at tbese figures (I've seen some in the 320 ~ 350 Nm range) so if you know a friendly car mechanic in the vicinity, you may be able to borrow his toy.... or get some help in torquing the nut !
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

Thanks again George, my wrench has a top setting of 108 Nm.
I will get 220 Nm of torque on the right tool without too much trouble, but I'm sure my wrench will suffer (break) by using an extension on it. 220 Nm is double my wrenches rated capacity.
I do have a few options for sourcing an appropriate wrench, including buying one. A mid price wrench would be doable.
Airbear also has a tranny needing repair which we have started on, so there will be further use for a new torque wrench.
My rerpaired tranny also has to prove itself.......
Lord of the Bings
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

ME 109 wrote: I will get 220 Nm of torque on the right tool without too much trouble, but I'm sure my wrench will suffer (break) by using an extension on it. 220 Nm is double my wrenches rated capacity.
I suspect you're right. My 3/8" was the highest range U.S. made Craftsman when I bought it, and it only goes to 110. My 1/2" is the sister model to the 3/8", and it goes to 340 (250 ft. lbs.), although I've never had to attempt to tighten anything quite that tight. The 1/2" is also 20-1/2" (52 cm) long, 4" longer than the 3/8".
MS - out