What to look for?

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
melville

What to look for?

Post by melville »

Might be looking at this in the next coupla days:

http://humboldt.craigslist.org/mcy/3677653905.html

Spoke to the widow. She says they bought it new and shipped it to Alaska for a trip celebrating their 15th anniversary. Then an annual anniversary trip thereafter two-up, and her husband would also take a solo trip each year. Maintained by the husband, always garaged, blah blah blah.

I'm actually going as the mech expert for an 81 year old widow. A few years after her husband passed on, she feels like she really misses riding. AND--her last bike was a blue R80RT!
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world.
ME 109

Re: What to look for?

Post by ME 109 »

What to look for?
I'd look for someone else getting it before you do Melville!
It's a sight unseen bike I reckon.
Lord of the Bings
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

If you believe those to be honest miles, I'd check drive-line play, ride it and check transmission performance, and if those are good and the ride is good, I'd grab it.
MS - out
melville

Post by melville »

Major Softie wrote:If you believe those to be honest miles, I'd check drive-line play, ride it and check transmission performance, and if those are good and the ride is good, I'd grab it.
Good--I was thinking the same. I think the buyer will go for it if she can get on and operate the clutch. And I guarantee she'll look and feel 50 years younger once she's rolling.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world.
Duane Ausherman

Post by Duane Ausherman »

I will be in Eureka in a few days with my work.
Ask the Indians what happens when you don't control immigration.
Ken in Oklahoma

Post by Ken in Oklahoma »

ME 109 has it right. Do not screw around! You must decide if you're willing to give the asking price if you have to and if it's a solid bike that you will buy it. Nothing makes a person sadder (motorcycle wise) than missing out. In my opinion of course.

Here's a link where I recently talked about what to look for on a R100/7. If you haven't looked at it you might want to see what people have to say there.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6083

Ken

Post by Garnet »

Is that in the "Flake recall" years. If so check the front wheel.

Oh ya, buy it anyway. It's a free bike. If she doesn't like it, you can ride it for a year of two and then get all your money back.
Garnet

khittner1

Post by khittner1 »

It's a nice bike, guys, but I don't get the excitement. RTs seem practically radioactive, price-wise---you can hardly give the things away. Pull off the fairing and slap an S fairing on it, and it'll get some attention---otherwise, not so much. Besides, this is an '82 with its air-injection system still in place---if it doesn't need valves now, it will in the next 15K. $3600 is a fair price, but not a steal.
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

Check for steering bearing notch
Yank on swing arm check for slop on rear end
Inspect oil quality at all oil fillers
Bent wheels
Scored or warped discs
Look in gas tank for rust.
Bring multi meter check at battery terminals for charging
Any and all disclaimers may apply
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

khittner1 wrote:It's a nice bike, guys, but I don't get the excitement.
Some guys like the condom like protection.
Any and all disclaimers may apply