"Baby Powder"= Talc + Scent OK for tube/tire?

This is for the discussion of Motorcycling. The art, the science, the theory of all things related to our favorite sport... riding motorcycles.
Curt

"Baby Powder"= Talc + Scent OK for tube/tire?

Post by Curt »

("Baby Powder"= Talc + Scent OK for tube/tire?)

Been working off the same plastic bottle of it for bicycle tubes for about 20 years. Some use talc. Some don't. (I found one case without where a rough textured tire carcass interior seemed to abrade a leak into the tube. Thinking talc may migrate into the low spots to smooth out the carcass surface some.) In some bicycle without cases, the tube gets so stuck to the carcass that it obviously could not abrade...but that would be more likely with smooth carcass.

Weis branded Johnson and Johnson "Hypoallerginc" with that characteristic strong someone-changed-a-baby scent. Hoping whatever it is won't eat "rubber."

Application is Avon 90/90-18 AM26 (51V) in original tube-type aluminum rims at both ends of an R27.
Major Softie

Re: "Baby Powder"= Talc + Scent OK for tube/tire?

Post by Major Softie »

Never heard of a scented talc eating rubber, and I would think synthetic rubber would be especially immune. I wouldn't worry about it.

Personally, I don't talc, I lube. 8-)
MS - out
Garnet

Post by Garnet »

I've used shampoo when stuck on the side of the road.

When I installed the same sized Avons on my R26, I used dish detergent. That was about 3 years ago and they haven't fallen off yet.
Garnet

Motu

Post by Motu »

Cornflower - you don't have to pay for the Johnson & Johnson labelling.