Lost my Idle

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
bbelk

Lost my Idle

Post by bbelk »

My 1979 R65 has suddenly lost its idle. It sounds flooded and choked up on start up and goes back to that state at an idle and won't stay running without keeping some gas on. Runs smooth and strong at anything above an idle with no missing. The problem persists when its cold or hot and it doesn't seem to "drop a cylinder" in the process of dying, even when its warm.

Plugs look good.

I can't really see the points, but the gap is correct. They only have about 2,000 miles on them.

The valves were all fine. One was a smidge tight, but it had play in it still.

To my knowledge, the coils are original.

I haven't checked timing, which I have no reason to suspect or spark color, and Colleen says I have to quit for the day.

What should I check next?
1975 R90/6
1979 R65
ME 109

Re: Lost my Idle

Post by ME 109 »

Water in the float bowls?
Lord of the Bings
jtoml

Post by jtoml »

This happened suddenly, and affecting both cylinders?

Is it possible that someone with an evil sense of humour has backed out the idle adjustment screws?
DonW

Post by DonW »

Make sure the "choke" cables are allowing it to return all the way. If the prob is before the 1 to 2 junction box, it's one place that could hurt both jugs.

Bad gas? or as ME 109 said, maybe water in floats (that's a 10 second fix).

Let us know.

D
'83 R80ST
'92 R100GS
'04 R1150RTP
garage full of airhead parts...
bbelk

Post by bbelk »

The choke idea intrigued me so I checked that before Colleen caught me. No help, they are fully off. We are dressed for dinner, well showered anyway, so I am not allowed to play with gasoline. I will check the float bowls and the idle jets in the morning. I am not too worried about the jets, anyone who dislikes me enough to do that is also too dumb to know how. Present company excluded, but only Randy lives close enough to do me dirt. I wonder where he was yesterday......
1975 R90/6
1979 R65
Duane Ausherman

Post by Duane Ausherman »

I would also check for retarded ignition timing.
Ask the Indians what happens when you don't control immigration.
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

I once bought a R100RS that behaved like that. The seller had been trying to fix it for ages. Consequently, it was going cheap.

I got lucky. First thing I changed were the plug caps. Bingo. Problem solved. That probably saved me over $1000!
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
Primate

Post by Primate »

bbelk wrote:We are dressed for dinner, well showered anyway, so I am not allowed to play with gasoline.....
Aah, there's your problem. My wife has long resigned to the reality that gasoline is pretty much a cologne on me.
1974 R90/6 ::Thor::
"Bones aren't important; we like motorcycles." --My boy D @ 4 years.
bbelk

Post by bbelk »

Primate wrote:
bbelk wrote:We are dressed for dinner, well showered anyway, so I am not allowed to play with gasoline.....
Aah, there's your problem. My wife has long resigned to the reality that gasoline is pretty much a cologne on me.
Dinner last night was set up by my Brother-in-law and was a five course tequila based event hosted by Pepe Zevada owner of Zevada's Z Tequila™ . The food was very good, but I left there hungry. Every course was also served with a special Tequila based drink. I did not leave there in a straight line. I was not driving.

The only relevant point here is that I have not gotten back to the ill performing R65. Updates as I am able.
1975 R90/6
1979 R65
bbelk

Post by bbelk »

Duane Ausherman wrote:I would also check for retarded ignition timing.
Bam! - he nailed it.

The bean can had rotated all the way to one extreme. Its too bright outside for me to see my strobe light, but I centered the can up and it started right up. I will complete the job when the sun goes down.
1975 R90/6
1979 R65